cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working in mountains

Matejryba91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anyone having an issue with data in the mountains?

I am talking when you have proper signal 3-5 out of 5 bars and showing LTE. 

I have no data despite showing full signal with LTE. Occasionally receive notifications or messages for 10 seconds. Or when I arplaine mode on/off I will get data for 30-60s but then no data again. 

Any solutions?

Frankly thinking of switching provider for more reliable service in the mountains (located in Banff, AB) 

5 REPLIES 5

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Matejryba91 wrote:

I have no data despite showing full signal with LTE. Occasionally receive notifications or messages for 10 seconds. Or when I arplaine mode on/off I will get data for 30-60s but then no data again. 

I guess notifications or messages use mobile network (phone) not data.

What you get in 'mountains' is some bounced off signal from who knows where located cell tower.
Before you decide to switch provider test first 'other provider' if having connection in 'mountains' is important to you...
(How people or you did live without phones before???)

Matejryba91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As mentioned in my comment. I had full or near full signal staying at the same spot

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Matejryba91 

This would be common if there are no cell towers in the area in the mountain. Weak signals through the forest.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Matejryba91 

you don't mention how much data is in your regular plan or if you have any data add-ons. So...you should log in to your account and check to see if you have any data to use or if you haven't exhausted. Driving around in the mountains are going to be somewhat choppy...no matter which provider you have. PM = Telus....so PM uses Telus towers for our service.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I suspect you'll have similar results with other providers as well. Certainly with Telus/Koodo/Bell. Signal meters on our phones aren't always the best indicators. 

Have you tried temporarily forcing your phone into 3G mode? It'll be slower speeds, but sometimes when I venture off the beaten path I find I get more consistent service that way. 

Need Help? Let's chat.