cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data being hacked

MrrMrr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

every night, after midnight (when I am sound asleep and my phone is on airplane mode and shut completely off), I am losing significant data, according to my usage list.  Every night this happens.  Seems as tho someone is hacking my data somehow?  It's become a problem as I am running out of data before months end.  I am not using that data, not when I am sound asleep.  Can anyone help?  What should I do?

7 REPLIES 7

HI @swiz 

glad you have your problem solved.  Yes, speed test can take 100Mb to as many as 500Mb for each test, so it can eat up your data fast 

swiz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wanted to comment on my post because I was able to troubleshoot my issue.

When looking at Public Mobile under network, I could go to Apps(Android), which listed what apps were using data. I saw Chrome was using a large amount of data. I could then click in and see the split between foreground data and background data. The vast majority was in my foreground, so the tabs I had open then. I started to close them one at a time and would check my consumption by refreshing the app every minute or two.  

The tab I found that was driving up my data was on fast.com.  I am not sure if I closed Chrome mid-scan and it just kept retrying repeatedly, but after I closed that tab, my data stopped climbing.  Hopefully this information helps anyone else with a similar problem.

MrrMrr

I began to turn off data access for majority of apps when I leave wifi, only keeping on those that are important for actual communication.  My data usage plummeted.  Seems as though (I am no expert, just reporting events) apps take lots of data.  Would it be data-mining going on in the background?  I don’t know.  If it is though, then it bites that I’d have to pay for that data.  That wouldn’t be right.   But - as I said, I really do not know if that’s the problem.🤷‍♂️

swiz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am unsure if this is true because I have seen my data update twice this morning, even though I am on my work network. In the app, I can get it to refresh at 1-minute intervals and see the data increase by 100MB each time.

I am a new customer, but I have seen a high column of data usage in the last 24 hours that I cannot explain, and I have seen a couple of other threads reporting the same issue.

MrrMrr

Thank you

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM updates usage of data only two times a day, not in real time. So most likely what you see is one of updates during wee hours.

And why would anybody hack your data when free wifi is everywhere. I would expect hackers to hack your phone minutes and not data...

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The data usage gets processed in bulk and posted to your account twice a day. All the data you've used from around noon to midnight gets posted around midnight. 

Need Help? Let's chat.