cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data and Facebook Messenger

Hondaman73
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why am I charged data when I am in my e-mail and answer an incoming Facebook Messenger text ? I have Wi-Fi working .I am on the 25$ ! gig data plan

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Hondaman73 

If your wifi signal is weak, it will automatically switch to your data. Just go to your setting and turn off and on your data when you need it.

It happened to me when I was testing the wifi speed in different locations around the house and didn’t realize that it switch to my data.

I used up all my data for the month and it was near the beginning of my renewal date. 😢

@Hondaman73 wrote:

I see the data used on my public usages .Yes this is using my phone I have a very good WIFI hookup  no I do not have assist on  .By the way the recipient of the message was in the USA and I am in Canada 

HI @Hondaman73   doesn't matter your friend in US or not if it is using Wifi or Data

Are you on Android?  many phones have the ability to put the Mobile Data togger to the quick menu on top.  So, you can easily pull down from the screen and toggle Mobile Data.  I suggest you to go with that to avoid unexpected data use.

Also, some program has background data setup to constantly check in with the server for new messages.  You can have "wasted" data that way instead 

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Hondaman73 there's all kinds of settings that need to be adjusted on the phone to save your data.

Start with "Wifi Assist or Wifi +" and turn that of. Double check all your settings Even though you say it's off.

Then go into your developer options and look for some like below might also say Mobile data always on.

Screenshot_20220227-124321_Settings.jpg

Set phone to do updates on on wifi, set what apps can use both wifi and data and what can just use wifi, etc etc.

Hondaman73

I will Try this

Hondaman73

I see the data used on my public usages .Yes this is using my phone I have a very good WIFI hookup  no I do not have assist on  .By the way the recipient of the message was in the USA and I am in Canada 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you seeing data being consumed? On your phone or the overview page in your self-serve? Do you have the wifi assist or whatever it's called set on? Is your wifi connection a little weak?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Hondaman73  I would suggest you turn off Mobile Data when you are home

These days, both iOS and Android has something like "Adative Wifi" (Android) or "Wi-Fi Assist" (iOS) , which will use Mobile data if the Wifi signal is not strong enough.  check if you see this enabled.  I would disable that just in case 

Need Help? Let's chat.