cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage when Cellular function is off

Rob64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My cellular function is off on my phone but my data usage goes up. How does that work?

5 REPLIES 5

@Rob64 

If its just the 5mb from connecting to the server you can reset it by toggling airplane mode on/off. If that's what it is don't worry about it. MMS uses data from a different server that doesn't count towards your allotment so this should not affect your data counter in your account. Measure by it.... your phone data counter may show/record your data differently than your account. But depending on the make and model of your phone there have been some instances of certain phones using small amounts of data even with it turned off. You can always check the data usage of each app to see which one could be using data....turn off background data as its unnecessary.

I had leakage like that, with data off on my Telus prepaid......they put a block on it for me. But with the free data with auto-pay.....you can’t really complain. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rob64 : Perhaps your wifi failover is on. When your wifi connection gets out of range then the phone will automatically use mobile data.

To read your post literally...so you don't use the device for calling/texting/browsing?

I suspect you mean mobile data though.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Rob64 

MMS service consumes data which is measurable, but the good news is it doesn't take from your data allotment.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Rob64 wrote:

My cellular function is off on my phone but my data usage goes up. How does that work?

If you look at usage history in self service is Call Type = Web and the usage is around 5 MB total. If so .....

If you turn your data off and on or even turn your phone off with data enabled, your phone will call to the public mobile data server. This is to enable mms on your phone

This type of data is free for everyone. No need to worry about it.

Need Help? Let's chat.