cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA usage

Raybone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just renewed my public account on July 23rd. and am now being told I have used up ALL of my 4.5GB of data!

I have never once in years, exceeded this data. I have my roaming turned off 100% of the time and always have.  Please advise why this is happening and how this can be corrected?  I am going on a road trip in two days and need my data for GPS etc!!!!!!!.   THIS CAN NOT BE HAPPENING!!!!

(I have a few accounts on file and note this is for an account that is not under this registration as it PM won't allow me to make another profile under my other phone account.)

16 REPLIES 16

Raybone

Another thing to take note of, I tallied up the amount of data usage from the usage details on the PM account and it only totals 488.25 MB out of 4.5 GB.  I also note that these data usages were done late in the evening, when I was home in bed and connected to my wifi. 

Raybone

I just looked and it says last back up was July 22, 2022 at 8:30 am (day before monthly plan renewal).  Also, it should be noted that my prior icloud back ups have never affected anything before or made me run out of data.....I have never ran out of data!  Plus I emphasize this is only for 3 days.  It feels like my account or PM didn't "reset" or "restart" my 4.5GB over after the account renewed itself automatically.  PM agent doesn't seem to have a clue either and just says "you used it all up."  it literally makes no sense to me.

HI @Raybone   since you opened ticket with PM , see what they come back with

But any chance you have some iCloud sync'ing  or backing up on the background?  

Raybone

It is an iphone.  Also, I note that at 7:41 am I received a text from PM that I was at 75% usage, then 2 mins later at 7:43 another text saying I was at 95% of my usage, then again, still at 7:43 I was at 100% of usage.  Keep in mind I was asleep with my phone on my night table until 8:30 am, and my phone was not in use.

HI @Raybone   are you on Android or iPhone?

If Android, you can check your usage on the phone and can confirm if that much of data were used

Raybone

Thanks.  This is not a GPS issue as I do not use GPS regularly.  I only mentioned that i needed to have GPS for an upcoming road trip, so please, not GPS related.  I have had the same 4.5GB with my plan, changed nothing, done nothing different, I even have roaming off, background app refresh off, everything with the exception of maybe 5 things permitted when not on wifi.  in 4-5 years I have never gone over my data usage and now, according to Public Mobile I have used it ALLLLLLL up in 3 DAYS time.  this is not right.  In any event, I have contacted an PM agent.  

Why not Google map and download  offline map for free and use data for traffic info??

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Raybone 

my suggestion go buy it device gps tomtom or install apps tomtom and you need a email to set up and it's free i use it, but the best to buy it device only for gps much better and no internet need,
but for some apps no need internet but you need to try them.

and also some apps need internet on to use it.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@computergeek541 

Good to know because I was charged for using extra data for the GPS on my company phone from my employer!

GPS itself isn't provided by the mobile/cellular carrier.  If all you're looking for is geographical co-ordinates, a phone equipped with GPS can provide that without a SIM card inserted and without any internet connection. The internet can be used to provide a faster GPS lock and to provide accuracy but can still be used without it.  You would have been charged for map downloads and navgation/traffic updates provided in real-time.  Those charges would have been for data/internet use, and not actually from using the GPS sattelite system.

@computergeek541 

Good to know because I was charged for using extra data for the GPS on my company phone from my employer!

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Raybone 

GPS will use up a lot of data. I would suggest to find a good or refurbished Garmin with Lifetime free map (LM) download.

GPS doesn't use any data as long as maps have already been downloaded and A-GPS is disabled. Some phone apps have the option to download maps ahead of time, and if data is disabled for these apps, the GPS can still be used and maps can still be viewed.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Raybone 

GPS will use up a lot of data. I would suggest to find a good or refurbished Garmin with Lifetime free map (LM) download.

Raybone

Incognito mode shows the same 4.50GB used with 0GB left. 

Will contact an agent. thank you.

Hi @Raybone   

Try to use Incognito mode to login to My Account again and see if you see the same thing

If so, check the Usage History, check how much data you used since July 23.

If it shows nothing , or not a lot, open ticket with CS agent:

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Raybone

Thank you for your response.

I do not have data when I use my phone.

I got the sms about 100% being used.

I logged into account and it says all my data is used. 

I will try incognito. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Raybone   are you not able to use the data now?

or you just got a sms about you used up the data? 

or you logged into My Account and saw it said you used all the data?

If you see the My Account showing you used up the data, try to use Incognito mode to login again, it could be a cache issue and the information was not updated

And , are you using Android or iPhone

Need Help? Let's chat.