cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in Sherwood Park

NinjaNerd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Any other PM users in Sherwood Park having coverage issues? I live in the Mills Haven area and the coverage is barely usable. Constantly getting dropped calls and audio drop outs. Coverage in other areas of Sherwood Park seems fine. I have another phone on Bell and it isn't much better. Maybe Telus and Bell share infrastructure?

13 REPLIES 13

NinjaNerd

I have very fast Internet and great WiFi coverage at my house so it seems like WiFi calling would be the best workaround. But I see that PM does not support it (even though Telus does).  Maybe they will support it in the future? I've prepaid for 3 months so once that's used up I may have to switch to Rogers/Shaw and see how that goes.

@NinjaNerd   does Bell gives you VoLTE ?   For S9, it is not VoLTE compatible here

For iPhone 12 and 14, they are both VoLTE compatible on PM.  You can confirm it by checking if your phone showing LTE (or 5G) before and during the calls 

and tell us what you get after your little experiment  🙂

NinjaNerd

I'm in a house. It does seem to help a bit if I go out onto the front sidewalk. Wife and I have iPhone 12 and 14. I also have a Samsung S9 on Bell and it also works very poorly in this location. All three phones indicate only 1 bar of signal strength.

I will try changing some settings as you suggest and see if it helps.  I will also take a walk around my neighbourhood and see if anyone has a cell booster on their roof that might be causing problems.

@NinjaNerd   you are in Apartment or house?  Any difference if you go out at the door?

More for data: try to change force the data connect to LTE and see if it helps.  no worry, i know you pay for 5G, but even on LTE, you will have speed more than 100Mbps , if it works

For voice, just for test, change to it 3G only and see if it voice call better

And depends on your phone, you might be able to use VoLTE.  But what model and brand is yours?

NinjaNerd

Coverage Issues.png

There are 2 Bell sites and 3 Telus sites fairly close so coverage should be ok, but for whatever reason it is terrible on both of those providers. If I go elsewhere in Sherwood Park, it seems fine. I was thinking maybe one of my neighbours is using one of those cheap cell boosters which is causing interference or something.

@NinjaNerd  speed is defintely not great at home

As a workaround, use VoIP app TextNow for now

But What phone do you have? brand and mode?

NinjaNerd

Data isn't great, but I'm on WiFi at home so I'm much more concerned with voice calling which is really terrible. Gave up our home phone because we both have cell phones, but thinking I might have to get the landline back (or find another cell provider with better coverage in this location). I'm on a 5G plan and it is very fast elsewhere but at home I'm often seeing less than 10Mbps down and 1-2 up.

Yes, Sherwood Park is just east of Edmonton.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @NinjaNerd   

if both Bell and PM has the problem , then problem in the area.  You can better signal elsewhere?

what phone you have? If it is a voice problem, maybe VoLTE will help

@NinjaNerd Sherwood Park has decent coverage:

softech_0-1687457249241.png

are you living far away from the towers?

@NinjaNerd wrote:

Not an outage because it's been like this since I switched over to PM about 3 weeks ago.

@NinjaNerd  voice or data or both?

and Sherwood Park in AB, east of Edmonton?

NinjaNerd

Not an outage because it's been like this since I switched over to PM about 3 weeks ago.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@NinjaNerd   Sherwood Park in AB? 

No, according to Telus Service status, it was ok

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/outages

Very likely just minor local network issue

Since Bell has issue, then yes, Bell and Telus share towers

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@NinjaNerd  

Outage   map in your area: