cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in Palm Springs with 3G Network

johanna6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have 3G here in Edmonton, Canada and am very happy with it.  If I buy the US add-on (as we are spending 10 days in Palm Springs) will I have coverage (data, phone and text)?  Will it be reliable - map shows limited co

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@johanna6 

Did your incoming calls go to voicemail?

johanna6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for all your responses and patience.  We are now back from Palm Springs.  I did upgrade to 4G here in Edmonton and then bought a US add-on: data, phone and text.  Data, texting and making phone calls worked very well.  However - I was not able to receive telephone calls; this proved to be very inconvenient especially when trying to connect with our Turo car rental.  No idea why - very disappointing.

@darlicious wrote:

Customers need to do their homework before purchasing

Unfortunately it is easier to just to write a post (over and over again, same questions every time) instead of searching through Help database.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

US Roaming add ons with the exception of talk are pretty reliable using T-Mobile's networks. Customers cannot expect "Roam like Home" service for 10 days of roaming for practically the price of one day of Roaming with the big three. Customers need to do their homework before purchasing US Roaming add ons and traveling to the US just as they need to before activating with public mobile and expecting to be able to pick up the phone to get customer support. They should appreciate that they even have the option of Roaming in the US as most Canadian prepaid providers offer no such service at all anymore to their customers.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your service will be hit and miss. If you like to gamble and feel lucky - buy US add-on.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@johanna6 

This post helps explain how US Roaming add ons work now that 3G networks have been decommissioned in the US. Have a read of it and we can help answer any further questions you may have regarding Roaming in the US.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@johanna6 

We have a member who is currently in Palm Springs and as of a day or two ago could not connect to the T-Mobile's 2G network there for voice services with his pixel 5. Not to say it's not possible but some 5G phones eliminate that network mode for some reason. What model of phones do you use? Connecting to the 4G LTE network for data and texting works fine.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Probably save you time a some big headaches by getting a local sim options along with voip apps for your needs

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@johanna6   You can actually use the 4G/LTE network in Canada even you are on 3G speed plan

For US roaming, data and text should work without trouble.  You can connect to either T-Mobile or  AT&T (but try T-Mobile first, you might want to use manual connection instead of automatic)

But for voice, it is 50-50.  3G is decommissioned in US and now roaming voice relies ONLY on T-Mobile 2G network.  Look like it does have coverage there (according to https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466)  But even it shows on "paper", it might not work well.

If you like check for more background info for the current roaming situation here (thanks @darlicious for the great post)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

@johanna6 wrote:

Have 3G here in Edmonton, Canada and am very happy with it.  If I buy the US add-on (as we are spending 10 days in Palm Springs) will I have coverage (data, phone and text)?  Will it be reliable - map shows limited co

There is no 3g network in the U.S.  Phones calls will only be on the T-Mobile 2g network. The other services will work on either 2g GSM or LTE. As for reliability, I would have to say that based on reports here, it's no longer reliable.

Need Help? Let's chat.