cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Switching to 5G Plan with 4G Phone - Need Advice!

WindyOrbits
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey everyone,

I'm currently subscribed to the $102 60GB/90-day plan, but I've stumbled upon an enticing offer for a 40GB/month 5G data plan that I've set to "Change on Renewal". The issue is that I'm currently using a 4G phone.

I'm curious about what would happen if I make the switch. Would my network connectivity be affected (can a 4G phone even be on a 5G plan)? How will it impact my phone's internet speeds? Moreover, will there be noticeably faster battery drain on my 4G phone?

I'm reaching out to the community to get some insights before the new plan activates on my Renewal Date. Has anyone experimented with a 5G plan on a 4G phone? What were your experiences? Any issues I should be aware of before making the switch? Are there benefits to making this switch (beyond the extra 20GB of data a month)? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

12 REPLIES 12

@Levelbear1 !to get the 1000mbs that  has to be a tier 1 provider like Telus bell or rogers on a 5G+ plan that advertises  up to 2GBps speed . Because  even reg 5G from Telus is still only up to 250mbs 

Levelbear1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I love this thread,  Both my 5G phone and my 4G/LTE phone work on both subs. 

I can only attain 300mbps MAXIMUM on 5g plan and 100mbps on 4g plan.   For the coverage 5G you will more likely get the MAX speed but to me the plan 5G vs 4G comtains a speed limit.  On other providers you can get over 1000mbps on 5G but only to their servers and not to others .

@WindyOrbits wrote:

Hi @BKNS27 and @hTideGnow 

Thanks for explaining! I only have a 4G capable phone haha so I would probably not get true 5G signal anyhow...

HI @WindyOrbits  with a 4G phone, you cannot connect to 5G network.  However, if you subscribe to 5G plan, you will get much better speed than you would have got on a 4G plan.  Instead of top speed of 100Mbps , you can get 150+ Mpbps

WindyOrbits

Hi @BKNS27 and @hTideGnow 

Thanks for explaining! I only have a 4G capable phone haha so I would probably not get true 5G signal anyhow...

@WindyOrbits 

Basically, if you are indoors. The 5G signal will drop and it will drop to 4G/LTE depending on the reception of your phone.

5G wavelength are shorter then 3G or 4G/LTE. Longer wavelengths had the ability to go through walls.

Since you have a 4G phone it doesn’t matter. It won’t reach 5G speeds.

HI @WindyOrbits 

it is true that 5G singals won't go through walls as good, but all it means is that it will travel shorter distance

Most phone will setup with network mode auto and most the time will be using 4G signal, as it is better on battery. But the phone will be smart enough to switch to 5G when heavy data is needed and when 5G signal is good

So, no worries,many have 5G plans already and enjoying the 5G speed

@WindyOrbits  Yes you will no worries 5G works best outside but will still work in your house I’m home now and look I still get 5G network on my 5G phone and plan 

Handy1_0-1701793783267.png

WindyOrbits

Hi @BKNS27 Thanks for your reply! I'm confused... What do you mean by 5G signals can’t go through walls? Can 4G signal go through walls? 😅 once I switch over to 5G, will I still have data connectivity if I am inside a building? 

@WindyOrbits 

The speed depends on the signal o your phone. If it is showing full signal than it should be up in the 100mps.

Having a 4G plan on 5G phone will have little or no affects on the speed. Your phone will need 5G hardware to get the 5G speeds.

Also, 5G signals can’t go through walls.

@WindyOrbits  It should be faster then 100mbs on 5G plan as 4G plan is up to 100mbs and 5G plan is up to 250mbs 

WindyOrbits

Hi @Handy1 thanks for your response! Per your recommendation, I just did a speed test and it says [88.2 Mbps download]; [10.2 Mbps upload]. Based on your reply, does that mean the download speed will improve to 100Mbps on a 5G plan? 

Do you know if there will be noticeably faster battery drain once I switch over? That's one of my worries.

Also, would the added benefit of unlimited data throttled to 512kbps be after 20GB is used up or 40GB? It is a 40GB/month 5G plan

Thanks!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@WindyOrbits  You no worries , you will get faster speeds of 100mbs of a 4G plan being on 5Gplan with phone set to 4G/LTE you can do a speed test to confirm  , also the added benefit is you will have unlimited data throttled to 512kbps after the 20GB plan data bucket is used up win/win 

Speed test

https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Need Help? Let's chat.