cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Moving From Rogers

dabrams
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We are paying over $200 for two phones with Rogers, which is ridiculous.So, are considering migrating to Public Mobile. Our Rogers Plan includes the following:

Unlimited CanadaWide Calling

Unlimited CanadaWide Sent & Received Text, Picture & Video Messages

Voicemail

2500 Call Forwarding Minutes

Call Waiting

Call Display with Name Display

Conference Calling

Enhanced Voicemail

How does this compare with your $40 plan?

15 REPLIES 15

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just one thing to add:

Each Public Mobile phone account needs to use its own unique email address. No family accounts here. You can use the same credit card for autopay though.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dabrams 

All of your initial questions have been answered.....but to add to the extra info given by the other members.......

Public mobile started offering promos again in may averaging one every three weeks. The activation deadline for the last one (which was an email sign up at the end of june) was July 10th. Hopefully they will offer another one in the next week or so.....you can sign up for deal alerts at the bottom of the deals page. However some of these flash sale promos have been rather secretive so checking in on the community or sites like RFD or Reddit are a good option for catching promotions not long after they are offered.

If you don't already have a referral code from a friend you can ask for one just only do so via private messaging. Unsolicited referral codes sent to your private message box is not an acceptable practice.......if it happens you can choose to report if it bothers you. Choose a member ghat helped you, one at random or one whose username you like.....it doesn't really matter 99% of members will be happy to oblige.

Sim cards can be bought online from public mobile and Amazon.ca or in store at many retailers. Some will offer it for free with an in store activation (just ask) but be careful if you are activating on a promo because some are online only.....just read the small print or ask us! Otherwise the regular retail price is $10+tax for a sim card. Another popular and reliable source online has been canadian cellular supplies who have offered sim cards for as low as $2.99+tax. (Currently $3.44+tax including shipping by Canada Post within 7 days.)

Data is 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps and as mentioned you will likely notice no difference  when using it. You may notice a difference in your usage.....you will likely use less! Many of your apps that play video (like youtube) will adjust their settings to match the throttled speed. You can test out your usage on the $40/5gb and/or the $25/1gb (or one of each plan) and see how much data you really need (you could hotspot off the 5gb plan). One or both of you may find that the $25/1gb  plan will suffice with the $15 data add on that rolls over to cover any occasional shortfalls.

Keep in mind switching to 3G only will allow for speeds up to 20mbps+ if necessary. 

Changing your plan to suit your data needs is easily done within your account by scheduling it on your next renewal. You can also suspend your service for up to 90 days (just before or at your renewal)if you are going on an extended holiday and leave an extended absence greeting on your voicemail.

You can lower your plan costs by taking advantage of public mobiles rewards. Autopay ($2) and loyalty ($1/month per year up to $5max) require little or no effort. Refer a friend ($1) the first will be your spouse....is unlimited and community ($1 - $15) is achieved by participating in the community when giving or getting help. $1 to $2 only requires a regular check in to learn anything new or add to the conversation and help out a little.

Welcome to public mobile!

alts63
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We were in the same boat. Rogers was charging $$$ for our 2 lines, and we couldn't find a cheaper plan.           I love that Public Mobile has "rollover" options. 
We never used a lot of data before but we worried that the basic plan would be too limiting.  Consider purchasing extra data (and minutes) as insurance.  

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dabrams 

@dabrams wrote:

We are paying over $200 for two phones with Rogers, which is ridiculous.So, are considering migrating to Public Mobile. Our Rogers Plan includes the following:

Voicemail

Call Waiting

Conference Calling

Enhanced Voicemail

I've been with Public Mobile for almost 4 moths now, no regrets, i don't notice much difference in data speeds, the savings are amazing. really recommend it.

Daps

@dabrams If you want to save some cash and you don't mind the online only support model, then public mobile is for you.

Just to clarify.
1. Caller name display is included for incoming calls, but your name will not be displayed at the other end for your outgoing calls.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Incoming-Call-Name-Display-Questio...
2. Conference calling is limited to 3 way calling.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/conference-calling
3. Unlimited international texting (not just CanadaWide)
4. No VoLTE, no wifi calling, no enhanced voicemail.

Don't forget to use a referral code when you activate your first plan to receive a $10 credit.
Then use your own referral code when activating your second plan. You'll receive another $10 and your first plan will receive ongoing $1 credit every 30 days.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

If you need a code, I'm sure someone here can offer you one.

hi public covers almost everything your last plan had

• Publics Plans
  • unlimited canada wide calling
  • unlimited international text, picture & video messages
  • 10 voicemail messages
  • unlimited call forwarding on all plans(even on the $15 100 min outgoing calls *glitch in the system allows this)
  • call waiting
  • call display w/ no name display(hopefully they get this one day)
  • conference calling
  • no enhanced/visual voicemail

i wouldnt worry about the data speed. its actually throttled lte(3mb) but i guarantee this speed will be sufficient for you, unless you really need to watch streams in very high quality. if youre just browsing the internet and social media apps etc. you wont notice a difference in speed

from $200 you will be paying $76 for both accounts ($40-2 autopay=38)

if you actually use less than 2gb then i suggest you go on the $35/1.5gb+500mb plan and save even more

make sure you get your phones unlocked before deciding to switch over

PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are 4G but throttles speeds to 3G.  For most usage you won't notice any difference unless you stream high quality music or videos.

@dabrams wrote:

8GB, but we use less than 2GB. My main concern is the extras I mentioned. What does or does not Mobile provide in addition to their plans.

There are no "extras" per se. All services are pre-paid. There are some add-ons available for purchase; these are the only extras: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans#plans-start (add-ons are just below all the plans). Canadian add-ons last until consumed; even if it takes years.

There is absolute no roaming available outside Canada/USA; USA roaming add-ons are for 10 days, at a time.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dabrams

So, Public is 3G, and not 4G? Do they have plans to go 4G?

dabrams

Thanks! So the same as Rogers except:

- No Video Messages. No problem there as never send video messages.

- No hardware options. No problem there as we would be migrating our existent iPhone XS over.

- No call centres. No problem there. In the 20 years we have been using Rogers, I have only called them for support a few times. Support here seems great!

- No Caller Name display. No problem there. If they are not in my Contacts, I'll add them for next time if I see fit. If I don't, it's because I don't know them and don't want to know them 🙂

dabrams

8GB, but we use less than 2GB. My main concern is the extras I mentioned. What does or does not Mobile provide in addition to their plans.

shep22

@dabrams wrote:

Voicemail

Call Waiting

Conference Calling

Enhanced Voicemail

@dabrams hi as for outgoing call display It only shows number. The people you contact would have to put your number in their phone book for your name to appear.as for everything else you mentioned it is similar and it is a lot cheaper you should realize that all customer service is online which is very good as long as you are a little computer savvy also data in your 40 dollar plan is 3g 😁

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed

All plans include these features: Call DisplayVoicemail and Conference Calling.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dabrams , you don't mention how much data comes with your plan?  With the exception of the $15 plan, all plans come with unlimited Canada wide calling, call display, call forwarding, call waiting, conference call, voice mail.  There is no name display.  Anyway, there is a savings opportunity here.  One other thing you should know is that this service offers no hardware options at the moment.  You will need to bring your own phone.  Crucially, the most important differentiator for this service is the online support model.  There are no call centers.  All support is done through the community.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @dabrams ,

What is the amount of data you have on your current plan(s)?

$40
  • 4.5 GB Data at 3G speed⁴ +  Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay =  5GB with AutoPay (making your plan $38/month
  • Unlimited Talk Canada-wide
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
Need Help? Let's chat.