cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Moving From Rogers

dabrams
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We are paying over $200 for two phones with Rogers, which is ridiculous.So, are considering migrating to Public Mobile. Our Rogers Plan includes the following:

Unlimited CanadaWide Calling

Unlimited CanadaWide Sent & Received Text, Picture & Video Messages

Voicemail

2500 Call Forwarding Minutes

Call Waiting

Call Display with Name Display

Conference Calling

Enhanced Voicemail

How does this compare with your $40 plan?

15 REPLIES 15

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @dabrams ,

What is the amount of data you have on your current plan(s)?

$40
  • 4.5 GB Data at 3G speed⁴ +  Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay =  5GB with AutoPay (making your plan $38/month
  • Unlimited Talk Canada-wide
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dabrams , you don't mention how much data comes with your plan?  With the exception of the $15 plan, all plans come with unlimited Canada wide calling, call display, call forwarding, call waiting, conference call, voice mail.  There is no name display.  Anyway, there is a savings opportunity here.  One other thing you should know is that this service offers no hardware options at the moment.  You will need to bring your own phone.  Crucially, the most important differentiator for this service is the online support model.  There are no call centers.  All support is done through the community.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed

All plans include these features: Call DisplayVoicemail and Conference Calling.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dabrams wrote:

We are paying over $200 for two phones with Rogers, which is ridiculous.So, are considering migrating to Public Mobile. Our Rogers Plan includes the following:

Unlimited CanadaWide Calling

Unlimited CanadaWide Sent & Received Text, Picture & Video Messages

Voicemail

2500 Call Forwarding Minutes

Call Waiting

Call Display with Name Display

Conference Calling

Enhanced Voicemail

How does this compare with your $40 plan?

@dabrams hi as for outgoing call display It only shows number. The people you contact would have to put your number in their phone book for your name to appear.as for everything else you mentioned it is similar and it is a lot cheaper you should realize that all customer service is online which is very good as long as you are a little computer savvy also data in your 40 dollar plan is 3g 😁

dabrams

8GB, but we use less than 2GB. My main concern is the extras I mentioned. What does or does not Mobile provide in addition to their plans.

dabrams

Thanks! So the same as Rogers except:

- No Video Messages. No problem there as never send video messages.

- No hardware options. No problem there as we would be migrating our existent iPhone XS over.

- No call centres. No problem there. In the 20 years we have been using Rogers, I have only called them for support a few times. Support here seems great!

- No Caller Name display. No problem there. If they are not in my Contacts, I'll add them for next time if I see fit. If I don't, it's because I don't know them and don't want to know them 🙂

dabrams

So, Public is 3G, and not 4G? Do they have plans to go 4G?

@dabrams wrote:

8GB, but we use less than 2GB. My main concern is the extras I mentioned. What does or does not Mobile provide in addition to their plans.

There are no "extras" per se. All services are pre-paid. There are some add-ons available for purchase; these are the only extras: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans#plans-start (add-ons are just below all the plans). Canadian add-ons last until consumed; even if it takes years.

There is absolute no roaming available outside Canada/USA; USA roaming add-ons are for 10 days, at a time.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are 4G but throttles speeds to 3G.  For most usage you won't notice any difference unless you stream high quality music or videos.