cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning baked-in apps off my phone

JVX
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I recently bought out my Rogers handset (SG9) and joined Public Mobile. I now have unusable Rogers apps that were baked-in to my OS. I would like to remove them (not just force stop & disable them).

Will a factory reset do the trick? If not, changing my CSC should work if PM has a CSC profile. Does it? If there is already a thread dedicated to this, please let me know. 🙂 

10 REPLIES 10

JVX
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

There's over a dozen, including NHL, My Rogers, Amazon, Facebook, etc. Of course, there are also Samsung's and Google's (close to two dozen). I don't use any of them, beyond Gmail and Google Play.

Ah well, disabling may be the easiest way  

@CannonFodder wrote:

@JVX wrote:

Hello, 

I recently bought out my Rogers handset (SG9) and joined Public Mobile. I now have unusable Rogers apps that were baked-in to my OS. I would like to remove them (not just force stop & disable them).

Will a factory reset do the trick?

Doubtful..... I can only go by my own experience with this sort of thing, which, as it happens, was very recent, i.e. due to some battery issues, I did a factory reset on my old S3(which I bought used), and one of the things that popped up in the apps, was the Koodo thing, which I hadn't noticed on there before. The phone had previously been locked to Koodo, and I got it unlocked(a whole other convoluted, long story, in itself) after I bought it, and when I did the recent factory reset, there was the Koodo app sittin' there. 👎 

Factory reset does not affect the system partition.  All app updates including for those installed system partition are removed.  However, the original version of apps installed in the system paritition will come back.  That is the definition of factory reset - the phone is restored to stock using everything contained in the system partition which is never touched.  To those familiar with windows, it is the equivalen to the recovery partition.  This is why I mentioned earlier that it is never good to dable in the system partition.  

@buiya wrote:

Not sure if the risk of bricking your phone would be worth it with loading custom roms.

No, not really. I loaded a custom ROM onto an old Galaxy Ace, just to experiment with it, to see how it's done, and what sort of results can be achieved. That phone was my wife's old phone, and it wasn't in use anyway, so the risk was negligible. I wouldn't really want to try it on a phone I had in service, because from what I've read, bricking the phone is a definite possibility, especially if you don't REALLY pay attention to all the variables, and possibly attempt to install a ROM that's not compatible with a particular variant(and some phones have NUMEROUS variants) of the phone in question.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Even if you root it and manage to remove you may really destabilize your phone

Try disabling them

buiya
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Curious what the apps are?  Not sure if the risk of bricking your phone would be worth it with loading custom roms.

@will13am wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

You'd probably have to root the device to be able to remove provider default apps. You should do some research on XDA Developer forums.

Not so simple even with root.  

Unless you install a custom ROM, in which case any/all of the "baked-in" apps are gone..... not for the faint of heart, though.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@JVX wrote:

Hello, 

Will a factory reset do the trick?

Doubtful..... I can only go by my own experience with this sort of thing, which, as it happens, was very recent, i.e. due to some battery issues, I did a factory reset on my old S3(which I bought used), and one of the things that popped up in the apps, was the Koodo thing, which I hadn't noticed on there before. The phone had previously been locked to Koodo, and I got it unlocked(a whole other convoluted, long story, in itself) after I bought it, and when I did the recent factory reset, there was the Koodo app sittin' there. 👎 

@Jb456 wrote:

You'd probably have to root the device to be able to remove provider default apps. You should do some research on XDA Developer forums.

Not so simple even with root.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JVX , baked in apps as you call them are installed in the system partition on the phone.  As such, they cannot be easily removed without wiping the system partition and installing a rom that is void of those apps.  Removing them as opposed to disabling them results in the identical outcome.  Removing them if you could do that safely will not restore usable spaces.  Depending on your launcher, you can hide those apps from view whether disabled or not.  I suggest disabling them and calling it a day.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.