cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on $60 "Traveller" Plan

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey all, just curious about the $60 plan that's advertised on the plans page of the website. Probably a dumb question, since the plan comes with 2gb of US roaming data. But just to be clear, does the unlimited Canada/US talk & text mean it can be used from both Canada AND from the US? Not just from Canada to make calls to the US?

Basically my question is whether I should just upgrade to this plan for a month next time I head to USA, rather than buying a data/talk/text add-on.

25 REPLIES 25

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Seems like this was a really good deal if you travel to the United States a lot. Too bad it's still not available anymore.

@darlicious 

Ahh okay, so it was available for a bit closer to 3 months than 2 months. Good to know. Good searching skills!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

Lol...we were both off by a month! This plan was first offered on July 19th 2019 and expired on October 11th 2019.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Updated-Get-8-5-GB-at-3G-speed-2-GB-of-...

@darlicious  i joined too late.. i missed all these fun...  😞

@darlicious 

I looked up my one referral that joined for the $60 / US Roaming plan. Sept 7, 2019. I think it started mid August 2019.

AE_Collector

@softech 

Or the almost monthly contests....or the win a free 1gb data add on for giving feedback on possible upcoming changes..

....and what happened to the supposed. self serve account overhaul that they recruited beta testers for? 

.....and @Catherine_T high tailed it over to telus with heads up about a redesign of the community that she had been working so hard on.....what happened to that?

PM has not offer these kind of  limited time plan (deals) for some time.  No interesting promotions lately

(haha.. the Provincial calling plans with $5 off limited time doesn't count..   🙂  )

@darlicious 

Well, it is entirely possible that they feared it would be TOO Popular and would cannibalize too many Telus and Koodo customers. It’s a competitive balancing act to compete, retain customers and make the billions of $$ needed to continually improve and expand the network. 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

I always wondered why that offering ended so abrruptly....I had been working on a couple of friends who spend much of their free time stateside. If not at their cottage then golfing and visiting micro breweries.....I had them convinced to switch and went to work and by the time I made it home pm had announced the plans same day expiry and it was gone before I even knew it was going.....

I believe they introduced it mid summer 2019 and many customers tested it out for their vacations and switched back to their normal plans with the intent of switching to it on their next trip and/or spreading the word among the snowbirds and frequent business/ pleasure travellers they knew...

But pm quickly pulled it out of the rotation just as the winter travel season was gearing up and many more customers would have switched to that plan. Given the incredibly high daily usage rates other providers charge their customers ($5-$16/day) to either access their current plans features while roaming or lower roaming usage rates it wouldn't surprise me if it was a little too good of a deal and would have ended up being a loss leader for pm.....they cut the cord before most of the 900,000+ snowbirds headed south for the winter and the other 3.5 million Canadians booked their US winter vacations.

@darlicious 

Yes for such a “different” offering from PM it sure didn’t last very long. Somewhere between 1 and 2 months I think? It was as though they were experimenting to see the level of interest.

AE_Collector

@PeterMcHardy 

I'm afraid not. It was a limited time promotion that ended with about 11 hours of advance notice in November 2019. The lucky ones are still grandfathered into that plan that was of great value when the border was and will soon be fully open again. 

Hopefully pm will offer up another version of it again. Occasionally a member leaving pm might offer up their plan or you can sometimes find it and other grandfathered plans for "barter" on such sites as craigslist or kijiji.

PeterMcHardy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I'm new to PM...is the $60 travel plan still available?

Thank you,

Peter McHardy

lukevader

Yup it's long gone. Deals like this don't last, limited time is limited time only.

@Birgit1964 wrote:

I don't see this plan anywhere so I guess it's not available anymore or do I just look at the wrong places?

@Birgit1964  Unfortunately that plan is no longer available. ☹️

@Birgit1964  they took it out last week! For now there's only roaming add ons to go to the states 

Birgit1964
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't see this plan anywhere so I guess it's not available anymore or do I just look at the wrong places?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@luke11992 wrote:

Hey all, just curious about the $60 plan that's advertised on the plans page of the website. Probably a dumb question, since the plan comes with 2gb of US roaming data. But just to be clear, does the unlimited Canada/US talk & text mean it can be used from both Canada AND from the US? Not just from Canada to make calls to the US?

Basically my question is whether I should just upgrade to this plan for a month next time I head to USA, rather than buying a data/talk/text add-on.

Yes absolutely especially if you are on the $40 Or $50 plan already. If you travel down there on the regular it might be worth just keeping it or keep an eye on announcements for its withdrawal so you can get it and keep it grandfathered in. The 10 day all in add on is $20 so it's a deal and gives you more data then the add on.

@luke11992 

And remember that if the timing of your trip meant it would span across part of two of your 30 day billing cycles ... you can switch your plan immediately just before you hit the road rather than scheduling if at your next renewal. Thus you would lose however many days were left on your regular plan with no refund but you could start the $60 plan right them possibly eliminating the need to have it for two 30 day periods. Obviously if your regular plan was the $15 or maybe $25 plan you wouldn’t be forfeiting as many dollars. 

Just options to keep in mind. And as soon as you are on the $60 plan you can then future date your change back to your regular plan for 30 days later. Just in case your holiday makes you forget all about the need to switch back!

Terry

luke11992

@GinYVR wrote:

@luke11992One more difference between the $60 plan vs Add ons is $60 is seamless when you return to Canada however add ons will knock your text out of service for a while when it expires.

Hmm weird, I've used a US add-on last January and when I came back into Canada my texting worked fine once I connected to the PM network again.

@luke11992One more difference between the $60 plan vs Add ons is $60 is seamless when you return to Canada however add ons will knock your text out of service for a while when it expires.

luke11992

Thanks for the responses! It seems like the plan really is a great deal then for when travelling for more than 10 days.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@luke11992 

You can upgrade your plan when traveling next month as long as it is still available.  It is supposedly a time limited offer.  Hopefully it becomes a permanent plan.   Also, make sure that your original plan is still available if you want to switch back.  Some grandfathered plans are not available anymore.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@luke11992  The $60 plan will work both in Canada and the US. If you are going to be in the US for more than 10 days then the $60 plan would be ideal.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

USA roaming data is when you travel to USA and use data there, that portion is consider  roaming.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Talk & txt are unlimited in USA

Data is limited to 2GB roaming

Need Help? Let's chat.