cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing landline number to cell phone

Carole8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What is the process in changing our landline number to my cell phone? ( we will be ending our landline in April)

6 REPLIES 6

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

I would recommend getting the PM account up and running with a PM number first. Then port a day or so later.  

Handy1's recommending to checking porting elibibility is an important one. While many numbers can be ported over, not all can. This would result in the customer having spent money activating a Public Mobile plan when the number couldn't be ported over.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I would recommend getting the PM account up and running with a PM number first. Then port a day or so later.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Carole8   the process is pretty much same as poritng a mobile phone, except it is longer, it can take anywhere from 3 to 7 business days

First, make sure your old provider account is still active. You don't need to call them to cancel the account or so.  Once the porting is completed, your landline account will be closed

Login to your old provider account and make note of the account number

Then get a PM sim card from Telus or Koodo store or Amazon 

https://www.amazon.ca/Public-Mobile-Card-Unlocked-Phones/dp/B07R6P5KBB

(do not order from PM online as it could take long for them to deliver)

Once you have the sim card, activate your account at https://activate.publicmobile.ca/.  You will request to Transfer your exiting number instead of picking a new number.  Please provide your current phone number and the account number of the old provider as the porting info.  They might also ask you what to do with the account if that is a bundle account

Once activation completed ,  Your PM sim card should be able to make outgoing calls (and the receiving end will see your home phone number)   Your landline will still able to make outgoing calls and all incoming calls will go to your landline and not the mobile phone until porting is completed, which can be anywhere from 3 to 7 business days  

Try to reboot your mobile phone daily, Make a call to yourself everyday and see if PM phone rings.  If it rings, porting is completed, and your landline  account should be closed

There is a porting support team you can call for status update.  If you waited long enough, come back and let us know and will send you the porting team number

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Is it a Shaw or Telus landline? Or a voip land line?

Bottom line keep that old account alive and expect a 7-10 day process at the worst. My voip.ms land line took 7 days and towards the end I had split services. PM will give you updates if “you” initiate the inquiry. When it’s all done they will send you an email advising the process is complete. 

You must know all the exact details of you current account....E X A C T L Y....billing name, address, phone number, carrier, account number etc. 

pmva
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Carole8  Here is a PM article.  How to choose your Phone Number (publicmobile.ca). They say porting a landline number could take up to 3 busines days.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Carole8  You can port the land line it just takes like a week to transfer 

also check that the number can be ported thou just in case 

Check to see if # can be ported

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

Need Help? Let's chat.