cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Plan Issues / US Calling

FoxmanFX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So. I just signed up yesterday (Oct 3). I was at the Moblie Shop at Superstore in AB. I asked for the $40 plan for 4.5 gigs at 3G data. I asked if I could get phone calls from the US. I was told that I had unlimited incoming calls including from the US.

After I got setup this appears to NOT be the case. I cannot even make a call to the US at long distance per min rates, or get calls from the US. It appears that all to and from US calling is just outright blocked. To say I am unhappy is an understatement.

So now it appears there is another plan for $50 for 8gigs at 3G speeds that includes unlimited US and Canada calling. So I want to switch to that now. I topped up my amount by $10 and tried to upgrade the plan and it still won't convert the plan. Why is this not working?

13 REPLIES 13

FoxmanFX

Had US friend call again - went to voicemail.

Removed SIM card, reinserted. Booted phone (Pixel 1 XL). Rebooted phone.

US friend called again, went through. Issue solved.

Thank you all for confirming that the US *can* call for me.

Cheers!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@FoxmanFX, you have been asked whether your ported your number into this service.  It definitely appears to be the case and with the port stuck.  There is no reason why any incoming call should go straight to voice mail unless the account had some sort of setup issue.  Long distances charges are paid by the caller.  No matter what calling plan you have and as long as you are connected to the Public Mobile network, you should be able to receive the call.  As for making calls to the US, you need to either have Canada+US calling feature in your plan or buy add-on long distance minutes.  It is unfortunate that you ran into an uninformed agent.  These things happen. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@FoxmanFX wrote:

Thanks. I will contact the Mods.

My whole cavet is that if I had been informed that US calls to my phone would be blocked I would have chosen a different plan. I was misinformed which is frustrating.

@FoxmanFX FYI you were not misinformed--the plan you are on should be able to receive incoming calls from anywhere in the world that can call your phone number, period.  There is another issue at foot, not your plan selection.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

It may be possible that your account was not set up all correctly.  You should mention to the moderator in your message about your issues with US incoming calls.  Don't want you to upgrade to the $50 plan and still get issues with US incoming calls.  Might be technical issues on Telus side.....  

I have a Canadian talk plan and have gotten US incoming calls with no issues even though I do not have a long distance add on ,etc... From my understanding, incoming calls from US or international should work....   

FoxmanFX

@Dunkman US text in and out fine. Data in and out fine. Was with telus through a work account previously. Incoming and outgoing CDN calls are fine as are text.

US incoming calls should be fine. 

Did you port your number over from another company or get a new public mobile number?  How about incoming Canadian calls?  Texting in and out are fine?  Any data issues?  Might be an issue with incomplete port..... 

FoxmanFX

@Anonymous So here is my issue: I have a US friend who has been trying to call me and every single call gets redirected to voicemail. It never rings at this end. Never had that problem before moving to this new plan.

FoxmanFX

Thanks. I will contact the Mods.

My whole cavet is that if I had been informed that US calls to my phone would be blocked I would have chosen a different plan. I was misinformed which is frustrating.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FoxmanFX, on top of what @Dunkman mentioned, you SHOULD be able to receive calls from the US while you are in Canada.  you only need to pay more to call INTO the US.  If you do not call the US too much, perhaps a canada/US long distance add-on would be more cost effective?  The minutes never expire.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is prepaid service you. You are asking to do an immideate plan change.

You could buy the long-distance add-on 8$ 200 mins or 15 400 mins the first is Canada + USA the second Canada USA and limited international.

You can message the mods and ask them to to the plan change (goodwill gesture)  but they will reply 48-72 hours.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-") to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

@FoxmanFX

You can change plan immediately and pay the full new rate (lose the remaining allotment from your old plan) or at the next renewal date.  

However, since it is only day 1, you could try to contact moderator to explain your situation.  They are usually helpful, but expect a 1-2 day wait time for response.  

send a private message through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(include your phone number, account number and PIN)

FoxmanFX

I am only 1 day into my plan. Why can I not just pay an extra $10 for the month and upgrade now?

Kevk53

Your first plan only works with US call when is a incoming one. To change your plan you need to pay the full $50 amount not just $10 top up.

Need Help? Let's chat.