cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of phone SIM not recognised

AnnickToutcour1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi ! 

I have had a flip phone for many years. Just changed to an iPhone (8 or 7, not sure).

I have the SIM card which is the right size. But when I put the new SIM card in my phone, it doesn't work. 

What am I supposed to do ? 

I presently have the cheapest Public Mobil plan (20$ per month), not including data because I don't need it.

Thanks so much

23 REPLIES 23

@AnnickToutcour1   When you say benefits, do you mean your rewards, like autopay, loyalty and RAF?  Those rewards would apply to any new plan so you could be paying less than you do currently depending upon the plan of course, 

However, if your grandfathered plan meets your needs, then it's all good.

$20 but no data? Granted you seem to not need data. But there is a $15 plan with unlimited inbound calls and unlimited texts to anywhere. It has 100 minutes outbound Canada-wide. Then they throw in a little pot of data.

Is your plan unlimited outbound Canada-wide? Any limitations to the texting (did they ever limit it geographically here)?

For the 100 minutes then you could get the $5 500 minute Canada-wide add-on for those times you use the phone more. If your $20 plan is province-wide then that would also be useful to give you Canada-wide.

AnnickToutcour1

My old grandfathered plan ? LOL

There's no cheaper plan with the same benefits, so thanks but no 😉

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@AnnickToutcour1    After you've got your phone sorted, you might want to take a look at PM's current available plans and schedule a plan change (Change at Next Renewal option recommended) from your old grandfathered plan especially if your plan only offers province wide calls?   All the current plans offer Canada wide calling and some data too.

However, if you do opt to change, then you will not be able to go back to your old plan since it's been discontinued.

Here's a link to PM's current plans:   https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/plans

@softech 

The last screen of the process will say “Congratulations your iPhone has been  unlocked” 

828AB43D-3A62-42A0-8E45-1DE0D774D214.jpeg

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

Just tried, nothing poped up.

In about, it says "Network not available" but under "Carrier" it's indeed PM. 

What about your APN settings?

@dust2dust 

IOS update can can be done successfully on a fully charged battery....Apple won’t alllow an upgrade on a battery that is less than 50%. 

But an alternative proof of unlocked is to do a factory reset with a USB cable and iTunes as the last screen will tell you if it is unlocked.....no message would mean still locked. 

@CountyDownIeUk   what message would show if it is unlocked?

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

Hi ! 

I have had a flip phone for many years. Just changed to an iPhone (8 or 7, not sure).

I have the SIM card which is the right size. But when I put the new SIM card in my phone, it doesn't work. 

What am I supposed to do ? 

I presently have the cheapest Public Mobil plan (20$ per month), not including data because I don't need it.

Thanks so much

Your phone may be carrier locked to another provider. Or - heaven forbid -- iCloud locked that renders you phone useless. --Go to SETTINGS -- then click on CELLULAR -- then check NETWORK SELECTION - and if you don't see Public Mobile then it's Carrier Locked. If PM is indicated then again go to settings --> general -->scroll to the bottom and  click on --transfer or reset iPhone -----> click on ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS ----THEN SET UP YOUR PHONE JUST AS YOU WANT . Hope this solver your problem.

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

What about your APN settings?

@dust2dust 

IOS update can can be done successfully on a fully charged battery....Apple won’t alllow an upgrade on a battery that is less than 50%. 

But an alternative proof of unlocked is to do a factory reset with a USB cable and iTunes as the last screen will tell you if it is unlocked.....no message would mean still locked. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It might be the older method of connecting usb to itunes and that on the internet and checking for updates.

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

Thanks a lot for all the answers.

So I check in Settings / About / Carrier Lock and it says No SIM restrictions. 

I rebooted the phone. It's still not working.

Perfect....now check to see if it is black listed. 

Does sim work in another phone? Did it get damaged in the transition?

I would love to open a ticket to talk to someone from PM, but the chat sends me to a 404 error page every time. 

See my other response. 

I am out of options 😞 
Any other advice ? 

AnnickToutcour1

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

I would love to open a ticket to talk to someone from PM, but the chat sends me to a 404 error page every time. 

Any other advice ? 

Did that phone EVER worked with any SIM? If yes, who was previous provider.

You can talk to agents through emails only but give us a change to help you out first. It could be something trivial.

To contact CSA, there are 2 methods:

- Use the ticketing system for a faster response time (preferred method as Ticket is assigned and easy to follow up with CSA). Click Chatbot - Ticket and type ticket, then click on Contact Us, then click on issue you inquire about. Link for creating ticket will be presented.

- Send a private message to the CSA - agent by clicking Here

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you connect the phone to wifi and go back to that settings - about - general and see if anything pops up.

And check devicecheck.ca just in case.

AnnickToutcour1

Thanks a lot for all the answers.

I am out of options 😞 
Any other advice ? 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

Hi ! 

I have the SIM card which is the right size. But when I put the new SIM card in my phone, it doesn't work. What am I supposed to do ? 

iPhone 7 and 8 takes a Nano size sim. “If” you have a tri cut SIM....the smallest piece is used. Obviously you have done that. Try to reboot phone. 

By any chance is the phone locked to another carrier? It needs to be unlocked or previously used on Telus, Koodo, or PM. 

Cheapest plan is $15 with 250mb of Data and 100 minutes outbound...Canada Wide. 

Thanks so much

JL9
Mayor / Maire

There are cheaper plans then that, especially if you have been a long time PM customer, but regardless the sum should work unless it is locked to another carrier or blacklisted, etc so determine that first and if it isn't and you're still having issues, following the steps to open a ticket with a CSA is the way to fo

@AnnickToutcour1 wrote:

Hi, I didn't get any message when I put the sim in the iphone.

A friend gave me their old phone. Is there any way to verify if it's locked ?

Thanks !!

How do I see if my iPhone is unlocked?

Another quick, easy way to find out if your iPhone is unlocked is by checking the Settings app.
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap General > About.
  3. Look for Carrier Lock. If it says No SIM restrictions, then your iPhone is unlocked. If it says SIM locked or anything else, it is probably locked.

AnnickToutcour1

Ok I will try that, thanks 🙂 

AnnickToutcour1

Hi, I didn't get any message when I put the sim in the iphone.

A friend gave me their old phone. Is there any way to verify if it's locked ?

Thanks !!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@AnnickToutcour1, it sounds like your phone is locked to the previous provider.  Did you buy this phone used or have someone give it to you?  You will need to get in touch with the previous service provider and have them unlock the phone for you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Where did you get this phone ? You sure it's unlocked ...what messgae do you get when you put the sim in the iphone.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@AnnickToutcour1 

What message are you getting? Is your phone unlocked?

Need Help? Let's chat.