cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change local calling area

myung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My local calling area is set to VANDERHOOF BC.
I like to change my  local calling area to VANCOUVER BC.

I know if I change my phone number then I can change local calling area too.

But I like to keep my current number and change the local calling area only.
Please help me.

19 REPLIES 19

Another interesting consideration for a Sechelt number is the limited competitive providers in that LIR, so your potential future porting options may be limited.

For example, I see Telus Landline/Mobility, Rogers, Fido, Bell Cellular, Bragg/Eastlink/Delta Cable, but not Freedom/Shaw, or any VoIP carriers (Iristel, Fibernetics, Distributel, ISP Telecom, etc)

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php?exch=017400

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@eeee wrote:

604 numbers are readily available from Public Mobile in smaller communities around the Lower Mainland like Sechelt (local call from Vancouver), Squamish, Powell River and Hope (long distance call from Vancouver).

Sechelt is a nice find for 604 numbers as it's one of the options in Public Mobile... According to localcallingguide.com, those numbers are a local call from 22 exchanges in the lower mainland!

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?dir=2&exch=017400

Squamish, Powell River, Hope, Chilliwack, Whistler -- even though they have 604 numbers available -- are all "out" since they are not local calls to/from the Vancouver-lower mainland.

So that brings us to this updated list of rate centres directly available from Public Mobile to check when searching for a new lower mainland number local to Vancouver:

• Vancouver
  • New Westminster
  • Aldergrove
  • Sechelt

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr : Pender Harbour to Aldergrove, border to the mountains...local calling area. Indeed @eeee did rightly notice many 604 numbers. I was skeptical but nor had I looked. Thanks eeeee.

@Anonymous   Yes Aldergrove isn't long distance to Vancouver along with the other communities you and @eeee mentioned.   That's why I only referenced Chiiliwack for long distance charges applicable depending upon a callers plan. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr : Pender Harbour to Aldergrove, border to the mountains...local calling area. Indeed @eeee did rightly notice many 604 numbers. I was skeptical but nor had I looked. Thanks eeeee.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@eeee wrote:

604 numbers are readily available from Public Mobile in smaller communities around the Lower Mainland like Sechelt (local call from Vancouver), Squamish, Powell River and Hope (long distance call from Vancouver).

@eeee   I'd also add Aldergrove and Chilliwack to that list although Chilliwack calls will be treated as long distance for callers without province/Canada wide calling.  Just need to keep refreshing those community list of numbers for a 604 to become available.

Edit:  Clarification that I was mostly commenting on the availability of 604 numbers...

eeee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Its long been proven that humans can only effectively remember 7 things at one time. Your brain will drop one item if an eighth one is added.

That's what I said...then they figured that out which I was aware of...but sure ok then we have to remember an area code.

@Nezgar 

Yes I was going to say (604) numbers are readily available from fongo and textnow.

@Anonymous 

Its long been proven that humans can only effectively remember 7 things at one time. Your brain will drop one item if an eighth one is added.

@Anonymous I guess you could sign up for a Vancouver freephoneline.ca number and just forward it to the out-of-area number. I did this for a while so people in the lower mainland could reach me in SK with a local number. 🙂

Also, 604 numbers can be easy to get if you sign up for a landline, then port it out. Swaths of those prefixes are opening up with cord cutting... really tempted to reclaim my first phone number from Maple Ridge - it's still not in service after 20+ years.. You don't even need a "physical" line - I checked with Telus and they have a "Business Connect" voip/app offering they can supposedly attach any available telus landline number to....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

@myung 

When looking for a number in self serve, New Westminster and Aldergrove options are also in the same local calling area. I've seen 778 numbers show up in Aldergrove.

Yes. Pender Harbour over to Aldergrove. Border to the North Shore mountains. But it still means changing numbers. People in that are would traditionally want a 604 number. Good luck finding one of those straggling around.

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?dir=&exch=015060

@myung 

When looking for a number in self serve, New Westminster and Aldergrove options are also in the same local calling area. I've seen 778 numbers show up in Aldergrove.

@myung wrote:

Please view the previous comments about assigning your current phone number to another city. This simply isn't possible.

When it comes to changing your phone number, this would only affect people who are trying to call you and whether calling you is local for them. Changing your phone number to a one from a different city (any city) does not change your local calling area for outgoing calls. That is based on the location of the cell site that you are connected to.

@Anonymous wrote:

It harks back to the old days when mnemonics of the first 2 digits helped people remember numbers. I guess they figured people could only remember 5 digits or something.

Then I guess they figured out that people could remember 7. Then 10.

AE_Collector could likely pontificate further. Or sheytoon.

People can now "remember" any number of digits.. cos we all just put the number in our phone memory, not our memory. .LoL

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is simply not possible and out of the reach of carriers.

An area code belongs to a province and can also be area-limited in that province.

A prefix belongs to a city/region in its area code.

The last 4 digits are the only unique thing.

It harks back to the old days when mnemonics of the first 2 digits helped people remember numbers. I guess they figured people could only remember 5 digits or something.

Then I guess they figured out that people could remember 7. Then 10.

AE_Collector could likely pontificate further. Or sheytoon.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

is it to do with some long distance call issue?

maybe you can get a VoIP number like Fongo.  It's free and it has free Canada Calling.  It is not as convenient as a real phone, and call quality not as good.. but it is FREE!!!  🙂

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@myung This is not possible. I am stuck with the same dilemma too 😞 Changing the phone number is the only way. 

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@myung wrote:

Please help me.

@myung hi sorry I don't believe that option is available 

Need Help? Let's chat.