cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone calls are slightly laggy and barely understandable.

fricstix
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I use my cell phone to make or receive calls from other numbers, they sound glitchy, laggy or aren't very clear. My cell phone speakers work fine for playing audio on videos and music. What could be causing the lack of clarity?

28 REPLIES 28

fricstix

Does every cellphone on PM use 3G calling or is it because I don't have the option or my phone doesn't support it? I was looking it up and on a website it said I could dail *#*#4636#*#* to enable the 4G option on my LG phone.

fricstix

I will change the network operator to public mobile WCDMA. Would I get charged if I used a different network operator?

@fricstix : PM does voice on 3G and text and data on either 3G or LTE. When the phone is set to LTE and idling there, when a call comes in, the phone switches itself to 3G. You might even see bars jump up depending on your LTE reception. Or down 🙂

Edit: No. There are no extra charges around here.

fricstix

So it just try out every network operator such as Rogers WCDMA with WCDMA only in network mode. Try to keep them the same and see what combo gives the best results. So there is no superior option, just trial and error?

@fricstix : No. Just the Public Mobile choices. You have 4 things to fiddle with. PM WCDMA, PM LTE and the other GSM/WCDMA/LTE, WCDMA only.

@fricstix 

To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card once a month or so. to force an update to the network, making cell towers 'aware' of the new sim, this can improve reception as any new agreements between carriers and their cell towers and any new cell towers since your last sim will be 'aware' of the new sim, allowing it to access them.
in turn 'improving' your reception, in areas you previously had bad reception

then google how to reset your network settings for your specific device

change your network to GSM/wcdma auto. if none of these are working then contact customer support mods

fricstix

Okay. Any reason not to change it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto after reseting?

@fricstix : Only if setting it to WCDMA only works better for you...which I kinda doubt...but worth trying.

@fricstix wrote:

Okay. Any reason not to change it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto after reseting?

The options allow you to configure your phone with whatever works best. If one option doesn't seem to work well then try another. The options are there so you might as well pick one.

The only reason you'd need to change one option to another is when the machinery at your local cell sites prefers/supports different protocols. If you tried using your phone in a different city, for example.

Playing around with these sorts of things won't incur any extra charges from Public Mobile (or Telus, or other operators). The network will allow connection to anything within your provisions and it will disallow connection to anything outside your provisions. Public Mobile is strictly prepaid, there's never any overage charges - you get what you've already purchased at the price you've already paid for the entire billing cycle, until it runs out (and renews).