cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone booster/repeater questions

ccdevmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Looking at a booster for band 5 850mhz. Will this work for phone calls and text? I think for data you need a different band correct?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

sambrown1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sure. A cell phone booster can be installed at home - for instance in a rural area where you might experience poor coverage, or used in a vehicle. Very popular Signal booster for RVs  because you might find yourself camping in a location with no coverage. Boosters are essentially amplifiers - so they amplify the signal from the base station to your phone and also in the reverse direction. They only work if you have some signal in your area (one bar on your phone). If you have no signal, then there's nothing to amplify and they will not work.

Is that is something you keep at home or you carry with you? How about power supply? Why would one need and use one? Just trying to learn new stuff...

sambrown1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

They are designed for specific bands. I suggest checking the band of operation before buying one. 

Data is available on all bands and technologies. Keep in mind B5 for LTE is quite limited.

ccdevmike

Thanks! This is what I thought. I'll try that out. I have been playing with the apps I have also to see whet bands are used for a phone call etc.

@ccdevmike yes, voice and text run off of 3g. data can also be used on 3g. you don't necessarily need LTE to use data, plus 3g actually has faster download speeds than our LTE connection.

anyways, I suggest switching your preferred network to 3g/wcdma and then dial this code *#*#4636#*#* then click on phone info. scroll down and it should show you the 3g band you are currently on. it will most likely be 850mhz. it should be under EARFCN

ccdevmike

I'm I correct that PM uses band 2 and 5 for voice and texting? And data is used on LTG and bands 4G : 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced). 700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).

Thanks. Still trying to wrap my head around how it works and relates to cell boosters and repeaters.

@ccdevmike you should just buy the cheapest ($100) signal booster from amazon. that way, if it doesn't work well, you can return it for a refund

ccdevmike

@hTideGnow wrote:

where you are getting it from?

I would like to know if it is useful, too

Its a one of used listing. Not a commercial seller 

ccdevmike

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ccdevmike wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ccdevmike wrote:

Looking at a booster for band 5 850mhz. Will this work for phone calls and text? I think for data you need a different band correct?

Thanks

It should work. These things are signal boosters of specific frequencies. My understanding is that these devices don't have any awareness of which type of network they're repeating.

Great that's what I figured and band 5 is supported for PM/ Telus so I think I'll just give it a shot. Its used and a good deal.

Thanks

I will say that I do believe that Telus does have some Band-2-only HSPA areas although I'm unsure of how widespread that is. There are also some areas that are LTE-only.

Yes I want to be sure of that as well. Trying to figure out if where I need to use this is the best band for that area! What would be the best way to determine this. Make a call from that area and use an app to show what band its using at the location. This is my guess.... Thoughts?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

where you are getting it from?

I would like to know if it is useful, too

@ccdevmike wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ccdevmike wrote:

Thanks

It should work. These things are signal boosters of specific frequencies. My understanding is that these devices don't have any awareness of which type of network they're repeating.

Great that's what I figured and band 5 is supported for PM/ Telus so I think I'll just give it a shot. Its used and a good deal.

Thanks

I will say that I do believe that Telus does have some Band-2-only HSPA areas although I'm unsure of how widespread that is. There are also some areas that are LTE-only.

ccdevmike

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ccdevmike wrote:

Thanks

Thanks

@ccdevmike wrote:

Thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.