cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot answer private numbers - automatically refused

Monni
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When a person I know (eg doctor) is trying to call me from a private or blocked number . The phone rings once and shows as missed call. Even if I catch it in the first ring I cannot answer it . The phone does not have any restrictions set up. Any suggestions ?

8 REPLIES 8

Monni

I rebooted . I can call myself from another phone using  blocked number. So hopefully that was it. Thanks

Monni

Thanks to Covid. Doctors are doing phone consults and are calling from personal numbers so they don't want to share the number.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Monni wrote:

When a person I know (eg doctor) is trying to call me from a private or blocked number . The phone rings once and shows as missed call. Even if I catch it in the first ring I cannot answer it . The phone does not have any restrictions set up. Any suggestions ?

@Monni 

Here is one way how to BLOCK private numbers from your smartphone, see if this works to unblock them.

Android
The steps you need to take will vary a little depending on your phone manufacturer but they are all roughly the same once you open the phone app.

From the phone app tap More > Call Settings > Call Rejection.

Next, tap ‘Auto reject list’ and then toggle the ‘Unknown’ option to the on position and all calls from unknown numbers will be blocked.

If your smartphone doesn’t allow you to block unknown numbers, you can also download call blocking apps such as Extreme Call Blocker .

iPhone
The iPhone process is a little different to Android.

Go into Settings > Do Not Disturb.

Then turn ‘Do Not Disturb on Manual’ and select to only allow calls from your contact list. You can also block repeated calls from the same number getting through within a three-minute period.

@Monni wrote:

This is a matter of your device's settings. Some phones have the option to automatically reject either calls that don't show a phone number or some from any calls that are phone numbers numbers not in your contact list. Why is a place of business calling from a private number?

Monni

Yes, everything else comes through 

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Monni I'm assuming all other calls are coming through fine?

Monni

Xiaomi Note 8 pro

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try rebooting your phone.  What brand and model of phone do you have ?

Need Help? Let's chat.