cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada/US plan

murmur53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I currently have a 4G subscription but will soon require a Canada/US plan.
I only see such a plan available for 5G.
Will a 4G phone work on the 5G plan?

5 REPLIES 5

Indeed @DennyCrane , that was silly choice of words on my part.

Corrected entry.   

@HALIMACS A device that isn't 5G capable cannot utilitze the 5G network, however it will work with a 5G plan because in that context it's just referring to speed.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @murmur53 

Now you're aware that the device can still work utilize the 5g network even if it only has 4g capability. (edit: corrected prior statement, thanks @DennyCrane )

When it comes to switching plans if you wish to move to the US/Canada plan, try to ensure you make this change on your NEXT RENEWAL as opposed to an IMMEDIATE plan change just prior to your trip.

This is because plans are not prorated and there are no refunds of pre-paid credits paid so if you do an immediate plan change (and say, just had a renewal a few days prior), you forfeit the entire amount just paid for the renewal.

Hopefully, the next plan renewal date somewhat coincides with your trip to the US.   If it doesn't, you can also consider the 15-day Roaming add-ons which you can choose from and add to the account a day before your trip.    Of course, these are only really beneficial if your trip duration is 15 days or less.

When in the US, ensure to turn on your device ROAMING and you may need to manually connect to the T-Mobile network if your device doesn't automatically do it.

Happy Travels!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@murmur53 yes, 4G phones will work on 5G plan

the 5G plan is more 5G "speed" plan.  You can use your phone to access the 4G network with great speed upto 250Mbps

dwh1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@murmur53 Yes, it will.  The "5g speed" marketing just means those plans are faster (and offer "unlimited" slow speed data once the main data allotment is used up) - they remain compatible with 4G phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.