cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada/US 5G plan

Hickory2014
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m a PM customer already - $25 plan (3G)  I have an iPhone 8.  Will it be compatible?  I don’t even know if it supports an e-sim. 

I’m getting conflicting info.  Will my phone work?  
Any downside?  
I’ve used Mint Mobile in the US for the last 3 winters. It has worked great but our family has to call long distance to reach us, and I’ve had 3 different numbers. 

5 REPLIES 5

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Hickory2014 ESIM is only for new activations not existing customers right now . And even if it was your iPhone 8 is not eSIM compatible anyways only iPhone XS and latter are 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Hickory2014 

Your iPhone 8 is compatible with PM but it is not eSIM compatible. You will need the iPhone XR or newer iPhone to be eSIM compatible. eSIM are only offered to new members only and not for existing members.

Please note that the new iOS 17 coming up in September will not have security update for iPhone 8 and X so install a good VPN and malware app on your iPhone.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

5G is just marketing, don't worry about it. Your phone will still get faster speeds than a 4G plan on the 4G network.

As @dust2dust said, first check to make sure your phone/account is setup for VoLTE on public mobile. Without this you will still get data and text services in the US, but phone calls may not work. The easiest way to test this at home is to turn off wifi, make sure you are connected to the 4G network, then make a phone call; does your phone stay connected to the 4G network while the call is connected? If yes, you have VoLTE and shouldn't have any problems in the US. If your phone drops to 3G when on a call, you might have issues. I suspect you should be fine though. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Hickory2014 

esim is only available to new customers now...not existing.

If you plan to be in US for awhile, that plan is a great option...you can call most any US and Cdn number while you're in Canada and USA.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I think the iphone 8 is the cut off model for volte. Do you know if volte has been enabled on your phone? If so then you should have no problem.
I don't think the iphone 8 has esim capability. But you can just change to that plan and away you go.

Need Help? Let's chat.