cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can receive texts, calls, send calls but can not send texts; ported from Rogers.

amalak
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone, @Mary_M

I just ported over to public mobile earlier today, got the sms that the port was successful. 

I tested everything out, calls work, data works, and I can receive texts, but I can't send them. I've tried power cycling, taking out the sim card, and refreshing the SMSC number, but to no avail. My APN settings are as recommend in the forums as well.

I'm on an unlocked nexus 6p from Rogers and on the self-serve page it says my account is active.

After researching the problem, it appears as though I'll need the help of a mod? 

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

blueice
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the same issue and this works!

amalak

This was fairly close to the solution I needed. There's only one contact I still can't text, but I figure that's probably a problem between our phones rather than the port.

The best way to test out SMS really is to start by trying to send one to yourself (from your phone number to the same phone number).  That way, any possiblities of intercarrier problems are ruled out.    No point in even looking at APN settings if your problems are only with outgoing SMS.  APN settings have nothing to do with SMS. 

There is one thing to check though.  First check to make sure that you don't have any information that you need to keep in a partcular message thread with your contacts, and if you don't, delete the message threads.  I say this because sometimes after porting, even if all SMSC settings are properly set, Android has a bad habbit on many phones of refusing to send outgoing text messages within pre-existing conversation threads.   The theory is that for some strange reason, the phone might try to use the old (and now incorrect SMSC) until you first start a new thread.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@amalak Have to tried clearing up your phone cache, power cycle and then try again?

have you tried your sim in another unlock phone?

this is just to rule out any phone related or conflicting apps related issues. 

amalak

Yep, I tried it with and without the 145, no luck. Initially, my SMSC number was blank, so I hoped it would resolve the issue, it didn't though.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire
Just for reference, the SMSC number in my phone is "+16475800172",145

Is this what you have as well?

amalak

Thanks for the reply. I tried a different messaging client (chomp sms), but no luck. I sent a pm to a mod, so hopefully that clears it up. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Samianauman wrote:
Lol I did
I was more explaining how porting process works in general usually its for both talk n text

We are talking about the same thing??? Your response talks about not being able to receive because the number being ported is still with the old carrier.  I distinctly see mention that receiving is not a problem, just with sending SMS.  That is why I suggested that in addition to getting a moderator to look into the port, try a different SMS app just in case.  It is doubtful the app is the problem, but it is not hard to rule it out.

Lol I did
I was more explaining how porting process works in general usually its for both talk n text
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@Samianauman wrote:
It's Still under porting process that's why you are unable to receive calls or text if you use your old sim then you will notice all those missed text n calls porting can take 1 hour to 1 days since you already tag a mod hopefully you will receive a response from mod team soon mean while I would say keep trying reboot your phone every hour or so untill you get a reply from mod

Lol, did you read the OP?  Only outgoing SMS seems to be failing.  Typically, incoming problems is due to incomplete port, not to say this issue isn't attributed to a stuck port.

It's Still under porting process that's why you are unable to receive calls or text if you use your old sim then you will notice all those missed text n calls porting can take 1 hour to 1 days since you already tag a mod hopefully you will receive a response from mod team soon mean while I would say keep trying reboot your phone every hour or so untill you get a reply from mod
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@amalak wrote:

Hi everyone, @Mary_M

I just ported over to public mobile earlier today, got the sms that the port was successful. 

I tested everything out, calls work, data works, and I can receive texts, but I can't send them. I've tried power cycling, taking out the sim card, and refreshing the SMSC number, but to no avail. My APN settings are as recommend in the forums as well.

I'm on an unlocked nexus 6p from Rogers and on the self-serve page it says my account is active.

After researching the problem, it appears as though I'll need the help of a mod? 

Thanks!

If this is a porting related bug, then you will need the help of a moderator to resolve the issue. The moderator team can be reached via private message. Refer to the following links for information on private messaging and how to contact a moderator. 

Good luck.  In the mean time, can you try installed an alternate SMS app and see if the problem persists.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

Need Help? Let's chat.