cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can public mobile unlock a sim carrier locked phone

SakMK24
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I recently purchased an iPhone without realizing it’s locked to a certain sim company. Can public mobile help me unlock the iphone or will I need to change my carrier in order for the phone to work? The phone is locked to AT£T A2111 CDMA GSM. Help me! What should I do moving forward?

7 REPLIES 7

mo1979ca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi.

Your phone is locked to the previous carrier they are a few ways of unlock a phone.

1st option: Ask your previous carrier to unlock the phone they may ask for a payment for this request (my was $50 CAD they ask for.) 

2nd option: Go to the settings find the unique number of the device EMI number or something like that not good with acronyms. Then go to a site like https://www.unlockphonesim.com/en-ca you don't have to go to that one but go to something similar. You should price check and use at your own risk. One site saved me 30 bucks. But it looked shady as hell. But it worked. I was not going to pay 50 bucks to unlock my own phone that I over paid triple for.

3 option if you live in a place that has a cell phone repair shop ask them to unlock it. It might cost more but they take all the responsibility (I think)

Good luck. And keep in mind these are my opinions and use at your own risk I am not liable for your own actions.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@SakMK24 

Since this is a US phone, it will take more and cost more to unlock the phone.

Dial *#06# to get the IMEI number and check if the phone is AT&T carrier locked and if it is also Blacklisted (lost or stolen) phone:

https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/ 

I have some urls that check blacklist in USA and one that confirms if iPhone is locked or not from any country. 

Being an AT&T phone will add some complexity. The above user can direct you to where to see if it's locked. I'm not sure if devicecheck.ca will know about a possibly blacklisted phone from the states.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Contact a CSA and try. They do unlock phones. Maybe only Telus and Koodo. Usually, but not always, you have to get the selling carrier to unlock it. 

Are you sure it is  locked?

Did you verify if it is black listed?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@SakMK24 hi sorry a phone can only be unlocked by the provider you got it from 

Need Help? Let's chat.