cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer connect to data network after using iPhone abroad with other sim cards

edwinx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi

I just came back from vacation where I was using different SIM cards to get data and a local number. Once I got back to Vancouver, I put my PM SIM card back in but I no longer have LTE, I changed my APN settings to sp.mb.com but still nothing. 

I don’t recall having to do anything special on my phone to use LTE. 

What am am I missing?

thanks,

23 REPLIES 23

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It’s actually quite common with customers coming from Freedom Mobile, stupid profiles lol

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@edwinx wrote:

Thanks,

I found some profiles that were installed while I was in Japan and removed them, then rebooted the phone and LTE is working!

Thanks!

Wow. That was strange.

Glad it's working now @edwinx

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

good to know what exactly that caused the problem!

Rockdaddy22

Perfect, thanks for the update

edwinx

Thanks,

I found some profiles that were installed while I was in Japan and removed them, then rebooted the phone and LTE is working!

Thanks!

edwinx

there was a carrier update and I installed it but it still didn't fix it.  I did remove some profiles that were added while I was in Japan and that fixed it. (after a reboot)

Rockdaddy22

Maybe you need a carrier update. Go to settings, general and then about, see what version you’re on. I’m on 30.0. 

@edwinx Just so you are clear; 3G is fine for data just slower than LTE/4G. Assuming that you are able to make/receive calls and texts and only data connection is failing, here is my long list of items to check; ignore the items you have already tried

- connects with wifi?

- cellular data turned on?

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles

- check network is not set to 2G; use auto, 3G, or LTE

- check for operating system updates (Settings >> General >> About and accept any carrier update)

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- try sim in another phone and a good sim in your phone

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

BTW: calling uses the 3G network which will also provide data services

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

edwinx

@srlawren let me clarfiy, it says 3G but I am not actually getting any data at all. I dont' think PM offers 3G data.

LTE is enabled in phone and I was able to use LTE/4G while abroad in Asia and before I left on my trip.

I don't know what the issue is.  I don't want to factory reset my phone for this but I might try tonight.  If factory reset does not work, then I don't know what else.  new SIM??

srlawren

@edwinx so you are getting data, but limited to 3G.  Interesting.  Sorry I'm a bit out of my depth as I'm not an iOS or iPhone guy, so I'll have to defer to others.  There's just one last thing I'd suggest you check but you may have already (if so, sorry).  At least on Android phones, we can set a preferred network type.  I'm presuming iOS has that setting too.  Can you double check you haven't accidentally set it to 3G only?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

edwinx

@srlawren no, still 3G

edwinx

ohyeah, thanks for the Wet Welcome...I miss my trip already..

I checked my account and I do have data, at least it shows my current usage.

edwinx

It was like that since last night though.  I will keep checking throughout today but my phone will be on wifi since I check email on my phone more than my computer.

edwinx

I have an iPhone 6S Plus on newest iOS.

I just tried a hard reset and then tried to leave it off for about 5 mins before booting it backup. same result, it only shows 3G.

edwinx

shouldn't be a network area since its not working for me since landing in YVR and around my house, some areas where I frequent too.

when I inserted the sim cards from when I was travelling it worked, data was detected, etc and I was up and running.  This was in HK and Japan.  

srlawren

@edwinx wrote:

long reboot did not work. right when it starts up, I only see the 3G icon

I think that happens with iPhones. You need to wait several minutes after a reboot to see the LTE/4G symbol.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@edwinx so, iss data working for you now?

edwinx

long reboot did not work. right when it starts up, I only see the 3G icon

edwinx

I changed the apn to sp.mb.com

previously, it was on isp.mb.com

I am using the newest ios version too.

I did not reset all network settings though since that will remove all my saved wifi settings..

Rockdaddy22

@edwinx wrote:

Hi

I just came back from vacation where I was using different SIM cards to get data and a local number. Once I got back to Vancouver, I put my PM SIM card back in but I no longer have LTE, I changed my APN settings to sp.mb.com but still nothing. 

I don’t recall having to do anything special on my phone to use LTE. 

What am am I missing?

thanks,

A hard reset is what I’d recommend, better than just shutting it off. Which model do you have?

srlawren

@edwinx maybe a network reset?  I'm not an iPhone guy so can't help you with the procedural details, but it's in your settings somewhere.  I'll also tag my favourite iOS folks @Luddite and @Rockdaddy22 to see if they can offer up any better suggesitons.  🙂

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Also ... reboot the phone (turn it off and leave it off for at least 5 minutes). Be sure the PublicMobile sim is in the phone before turning it back on.  

mimmo

Welcom back to the wet coast of BC.

Have you tried to delete teh APN and reinsert all the settigs?  check that your plan has teh data addon (there were issues with the addon not renewingproperly for some.

Need Help? Let's chat.