cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone here help me run a quick test?

yeej
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Back in June I started having an issue with my phone where my call would disconnect if there was nobody on the other end.  The call would disconnect after 5/6 rings.  I was able to use a different phone and did not have the issue.  I was able to get through to the other line after 6 rings and was able to leave a message on her answering machine.

Today, I am having the same issue with the other phone that used to work.  I also tried 2 more different phones (android and I-phone) and all calls are disconnecting after the 5th/6th ring.

I tried different numbers and the same thing.

It seems like this is now related to Public Mobile whereas previously it was a specific phone issue.

If anyone here has the time to run a quick test using their Public Mobile service and call a number where the other side would not pick up and see if the phone gets disconnected after the 5th/6th ring or if you're able to get your phone to continuously ring?

This would help me in determining what could be wrong.

Thank you very much.

9 REPLIES 9

@yeej 

test out the 3G to see if that works any better.

in some buildings with lotsa steel / cement construction...your signal strength can be diminished. You should notice better signal strength in the outdoors as opposed to in that building. You can look at a signal booster...but they seem to be expen$ive.

ed

yeej

Yes, that's what I wanted to do.  But the call disconnects before my friend's answering machine picks up.  I tried this morning by call a local restaurant who doesn't have a voicemail and was closed.  The call disconnected after the 6th ring.  However, when I called the same restaurant from outside, the phone kept ringing and would not disconnect.  

yeej

The issue is that my call disconnects after the 5th or 6th ring.  My friend's answering machine is set to turn on during the 6th ring so therefore I'm never able to leave her a message.  However, it appears that if I'm outside my calls can get through now.  Thanks for the help.

yeej

Thanks.  It seems like my phone defaults to LTE.  The other options I have is only 2G or 3G.

@yeej 

happy to hear you've done some experimenting and found a reason why calls failed. The sim is probably just fine. Another self - test is to manually select LTE rather than 5G and try your calls.

yeej

Thanks.  I think that might have done it.  I made the calls outside and the call went past 7 rings.  I was also able to get my friend answering machine after the 6th ring.  However, I can only do this outside.  Previously, I was able to make the calls inside.  I never knew that Sim cards degraded over time and affected the stability and quality of your calls.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@yeej 

if your calls just disconnect after a few rings, could be a sign of bad sim or even weak signal strength. Does the same occur when you have several bars of signal ? Do any of your friends have similar issue ? Maybe time to try a new sim...if you get a new sim, just edit you sim number (don't try to start a new account).

siimmm.jpg

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you are asking customers to call some specific number just to check if call will be picked up I doubt anybody will agree to do that.

You can install free voip app and call that number to confirm if it is in order.

Maybe all those numbers have no voice mail or are rejecting unknow caller. Do you block your number when calling other parties? Can they see your number?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @yeej 

phone wouldn't continuously ring, it would get to VM eventually

Try dial this on your phone to reset all forwarding and VM to default

##004#.

Need Help? Let's chat.