cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the Apple Watch 6 series with Public Mobile?

MillsOK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

"The built-in GPS works independently of your iPhone for distance, pace, and route mapping in workouts. Connecting Apple Watch to a cellular network requires the same wireless carrier as your iPhone. Service plans vary by carrier, so please contact your wireless service provider for more details."

For canada it lists the following carriers:

Bell3

Freedom Mobile3

Rogers3

SaskTel

Telus

We know public mobile is owned by telus

So in theory as long as my IPHONE is with public mobile i should be able to use this independently of my iphone, the way it was designed, yes? Or does this mean i cant buy the apple watch 6? Or does it mean i have to get a different cellular provider to use all the benefits of the watch?

5 REPLIES 5

@MillsOK 

Unfortunately pm does not support e-sim. Only smart watches that have a sim card slot can use pm services. Apple watch can use your pm service vs activating a separate account (if pm supported e-sims.)

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@MillsOK  It means you must choose one those 5 carrier brands to have eSIM functionality. So, pick your poison.

Currently, the situation is the same in EU with eSIMs only available from the major brands.

As far as PM being owned by Telus, this post may give you some insight to the relationship: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/SIM-Fraud-on-PM-interesting-articl...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can tether off your phone but public doesn't offer esim that most of the new apple watches use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MillsOK : I'll assume you mean cellular capability. I'll assume the watch has an eSIM. Public Mobile does not support eSIM. But you can certainly use it via bluetooth or mfi or whatever Apple uses.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

PM does not offer eSIM but   you can teher off your phone to make it work

Need Help? Let's chat.