cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Pick a Specific Phone Number?

Kingslon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I used to use Public Mobile before switching to a shared plan from Telus with my dad. Now I want to leave the shared plan and come back to Public Mobile, but my dad deactivated my phone number before I had time to make the switch. I bought a SIM card to try and reactivate it, but I can't choose my number. How can I get my phone number back? 

12 REPLIES 12

@Kingslon  happy that all sorted out  🙂

Kingslon

Actually, I did manage to get the number back. A very kind person sent me a message, telling me to call the Telus number porting team. I could talk to a live support person if I entered my number twice. The agents there are very knowledgeable and helped me fix everything.

The tricky part was that my dad had already committed to a new shared plan with 2 new phones, and if I wanted to port my number out, it would cancel his plan. The porting team was able to create a dummy account with my phone number, leaving his plan intact. Then, I could port the number from the dummy account to my Public Mobile account, with some help from CS. 

mister
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I realize this is an old thread now. But if such happens to anybody again I think there is a way but a little pricey.

Problem: You switched to a shared telus plan and your dad cancelled the plan before you could get your number transferred back.

Telus said your number is available, buy a Telus sim, get one month service and get your number back, before that month is over, activate your PM sim and set up PM plan and transfer number back.

Costly: Telus sim, Telus account, Telus activation and plan.

@Kingslon   You're probably remembering PM's policy from over a year ago when there was only one number change per 30 days allowed.  Can't remember exactly when it was changed but it's been quite awhile now.

HI @Kingslon   

Add to the note above from @dabr   you can keep refreshing for new set of numbers before commit to anyone of them.  So, you can just keep doing it until you find the one you like.  

But it is hard to find a specific number 🙂

Kingslon

Ah, I read it wrong then. I thought it was 4 number changes total, with at least 30 days in between.

@Kingslon   PM permits 4 number changes per 30 days for free.

Kingslon

Is there a delay before I can switch numbers? I read you can only do it every 30 days. 

In the mean time, start your new account and just take a new number...then if you're lucky and the CSA's can help you get the old number back, you can change it to that old number.

Kingslon

My dad already called Telus about it, they said it would be very complicated to reactivate, and suggested to get it back through Public Mobile, because the number was now available. I'll try to open a ticket, thanks for the suggestion.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Probably just easier to learn to live with a new number, me thinks.

Welcoem back.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kingslon   Technically, you cannot.  

Can you ask your data to reactivate for a month so he can get the number back?   It is possible for postpaid account on Telus to reactivate with the same number.  If he can, then it is easier to ask for a porting after

If he cannot, you can also try to open a ticket with PM Support and see if they can help.. since Telus owns PM.  However, this is really YMMV, so, they might or might not help

To open ticket with PM, message them directly

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Need Help? Let's chat.