cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller receiving long distance charges message when not adding 1 to the local phone number

Bostic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, 

Multiple people tells me that when calling my local phone number, they receive a message that because of the long distances charges, to dial 1 before calling my local public mobile number.  This has cause a lot of miscall due to people not wanting to try calling again because it's weird and bothersome.  Please let me know what causes this.  TIA.

10 REPLIES 10

pankajjoshi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

True

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pankajjoshi : Recently, the CRTC required providers to block invalid formed numbers. Now the calls just look real because they spoof a real number. Not much anybody can really do so far. Apparently there's some technology coming that might do something about that too.

I get them on occasion. Some get them a lot. I've heard of pressing #### a bunch of times and the call stops. I've also heard the idea of not making a sound when you answer a call you don't recognize. No hello. I might even immediately put on mute for ambient sound. Then if there's a human there wonderingly saying hello? then turn off mute and be normal. If it's a recording then it will give up shortly.

Then if that human turns out to be someone you don't want to hear from again then you tell them to remove the number from their calling list. I found over time that that worked. But these stupid recordings are just irritating.

pankajjoshi

True why would i Call ? ......................sometimes thinking it could be emergency from family.

pankajjoshi

in a way you are right but i used to get from area code 720 etc in usa for which i complained its telemarketers

@pankajjoshi wrote:

At time one gets spoof calls on their Cell phone and lan lines , which seems to be legit like a local number

but when you call back its redirected

Why would you call back spoofed number? Those who Really want to get hold of you will leave legitimate voice mail.

I long while ago I tried calling missed call numbers (using Fongo, he, he) but eventually I learned all those numbers are fake or belong to real people who did Not call me at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pankajjoshi : Wherever it goes, if your plan or add-ons can't get there then that redirect wouldn't cost anything. There are no extra charges here. If you have a US add-on then if it can connect then it'll use those minutes. There are also system-blocked numbers that you can't call. Edit: (Do 900 numbers still exist?) Apparently Environment Canada has one. 1-900-565-5555. Gets me a 10UV1 - Calls can not be completed recording.

pankajjoshi

At time one gets spoof calls on their Cell phone and lan lines , which seems to be legit like a local number

but when you call back its redirected to a number in USA or elsewhere so pls beaware and you phone bill will

be out of this woeld always check the called number on canada411.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Bostic 

Mobile networks sometimes 'think' the number being called may not be a local call.

This may be due to the relative distances between cell towers being used for incoming/outgoing calls.

Just advise the folks to either wait out the announcement (the call will very likely still go through), or better yet, have folks simply update their contact numbers to include "1+(area code)"  since virtually all calling is Canada-wide from most mobile providers these days.

Folks who ONLY have local calling might still be weary of adding the "1", however they could try for a brief call and check their telecommunication provider to see if long-distance charges actually did apply.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Bostic I think people forget about the days of landlines. I recently had a company receive a message that "the number is not in service" when trying to call my cell phone. Though we shared an area code, my cell number is not from the local area. They needed to dial 1 plus area code for it to work. Hard to believe that in todays day and age there are still plans for landlines without interprovincial calling included. I suspect they have an old plan that they never needed to update.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bostic 

Depending on your friends service providers and what their plan features include the message warns after adding (1) to complete the call it could incur long distance charges or maybe not. When it comes to pm customers this is an automatic telus courtesy message that if left to finish will allow the call to connect and because all in market plans include Canada wide calling and there are no overages or extra billing with pm. Your friends can also allow the message to finish and if the call connects without dialing (1) ahead of time then they should not be charged for the call from their non public mobile service provider.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Need Help? Let's chat.