cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying & Activating SIM in Toronto for use in Newfoundland with Newfoundland number

pmobileComunity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Travelling to Newfoundland. Can i buy SIM in Toronto, activate for service & number for Newfoundland in Toronto before travelling.

7 REPLIES 7

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I've used my BC-activated SIM card across much of BC and AB without issue.

Although of course it doesn't work in areas without coverage. Most of the population centers and roads in between them have coverage. Telus and Bell towers are everywhere. Even Rogers towers seem to provide service for Public Mobile, in the places my SIM card has been.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@pmobileComunity if you currently have a public mobile phone, you can use it in Newfoundland without worry you don’t need a card activated with the Newfoundland phone number unless you’re moving to me it sounds like you’re just going for travel.

A number of years ago I traveled to Halifax Nova Scotia, and I easily used my Ontario provincewide calling in Nova Scotia. It was no issue..

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@pmobileComunity 

I don’t have experience in Newfoundland but maybe members in Newfoundland can respond to your request.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile SIM cards are valid anywhere in Canada (which has Public/Telus coverage).

They don't have a shelf-life, they never expire. You can buy one in any province then activate it (even years later) in another province. Once it is activated, it is associated with the "home" province on account.

It really doesn't matter much, anyhow, unless you have a legacy plan with province-wide calling. All current Public Mobile plans have Canada-wide calling.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You can buy a sim and activate and use in Canada from anywhere.

You could also pick a number from AB and pay only gst.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@pmobileComunity wrote:

Travelling to Newfoundland. Can i buy SIM in Toronto, activate for service & number for Newfoundland in Toronto before travelling.

@pmobileComunity , you may be able to purchase a SIM card at a Telus / Koodo store there but to activate your service it needs to be done online Activate Your SIM Card Online . Public Mobile service is all done online. There aren't any stores or phone numbers to call.

Before you open your browser to activate use your browser in Private / Incognito mode which will allow the process to work better due to the website has cashing issues. Please make sure to make a note of the phone number you choose, email address, password, 4 digit pin & other information you use when signing up.
Please make sure you use the same email address when activating your account as you did here when signing up to post in this community forum so they match. That will make it easier for you if at any time you need help here or when submitting a ticket to Public Mobile Customer Support your My Account & Community Account emails match for proper support.

I don’t know if there’s a Canadian Cell Suppies store where you currently are in Toronto but if there is you can purchase a SIM card there! The only one I could find through google maps is located at “2489 Finch Ave W, North York, ON M9M 2G1”

Let us know how you make out & if you need any further help. 🙂 

Edit: For more info!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@pmobileComunity 

easily done during Activation process.

Need Help? Let's chat.