cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block SMS on Iphone

vio1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I've been receiving trolling sms texts from someone I don't know, and I blocked their number on my iphone, but the sms messages still come through. I contacted apple support and they told me that the block feature in IOS only works on imessages, not sms. They told me to contact my carrier to block a specific number. How do I do this?

11 REPLIES 11

@gpixel wrote:

@vio1 

go to the Phone app > Recents. Look for the number (or name) you'd like to block and tap the blue "i" with a circle around it to the right of the number. Scroll down to the bottom of the contact card that appears and select "Block This Caller." The message "You will not receive phone calls, messages, or FaceTime from people on the block list" will appear with two options: Block Contact or Cancel. Hit Block Contact to add the number

BUT you can receive voice mails. 

@vio1 

go to the Phone app > Recents. Look for the number (or name) you'd like to block and tap the blue "i" with a circle around it to the right of the number. Scroll down to the bottom of the contact card that appears and select "Block This Caller." The message "You will not receive phone calls, messages, or FaceTime from people on the block list" will appear with two options: Block Contact or Cancel. Hit Block Contact to add the number

@LurganIeUk 

BUT you can receive voice mails. 

*apple should fix that. anyways, I think the customer is being sms spammed not called. 

Jukebox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Download a reputable messaging app such as signal and then you can block numbers

Go to Signal Settings

> Privacy > Blocked or Blocked contacts.

Steps to block a number or group:

1. Open Signal on your phone.
  2. Open a chat with this contact or phone number.
  3. Tap on the chat header with the group name or contact name/number.
  4. Choose Block, Block this user, Block this group.
  5. Confirm by choosing Block.
  6. Choose Ok.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vio1  Most carriers will not block numbers because the spammer could be spoofing his number. The majority of devices are capable of blocking sms messages. If your device can't then maybe it's time to switch. 🤔

This is the usual method to block a call....but says it includes texts and FaceTime. 

PM me and I will text you...then block me and I will try again. If you like. 

There  are also some options to use in the Do Not Disturb feature. 

And not not sure where it is, there is an option to select to not accept a call unless it is in your contacts list. 

Not it sure if the 2 latter options cover SMS texts though. 

My policy is....keep an up to date contacts list. Use the options to reject unwanted calls.  Block, block and block some more . 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Here's how if you're on IOS 13

Block messages or spam

From settings

From the Home screen, tap Settings > Messages > Blocked Contacts > Add New....

Tap the contact you wish to block.

From the number

From the Home screen, tap Messages.

Tap the text message from the number you wish to block.

Tap the contact name or number, then tap the info icon that looks like the letter "i".

Tap the contact name or number.

Tap Block this Caller > Block Contact.

@vio1  I type on Google search "iPhone block sms" that's the first one that came up.

I suggest you do some reading on Google searches for your specific model. There definitely is away to block sms on an iPhone.

Here is Telus's policy

Change your number? It’s free. 

But if someone is randomly guessing numbers to harass.....it could be pointless. 

vio1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Those directions don't seem to be specific to the iphone. I've already blocked the # through iphone settings. the number appears in the messages/blocked numbers section of settings, but I still get sms messanges. When I called apple support, they told me that the settings on iphone only block imessage texts not sms, and that only the carrier can do it.

If Public doesn't block #s then Im just supposed to live with someone trolling me via sms?

@vio1 

These instructions will help you block spam messages.

Open the spam text in the Messages app.

Tap the i icon on the top-right.

Tap the name of the sender at the top, located just below Details.

Tap Block this Caller.

Tap Block Contact.

This will block spam SMS from that sender.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@vio1 

From my understanding. Public mobile itself is unable to block text spam.  It has to be done at the phone level.  

Need Help? Let's chat.