cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to activate on PM during current carrier billing cycle

Kovacsa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All, I'm switching carriers to PM. I paid for a Boxing Week special plan a little over a week ago and have received my SIM card.  I've been billed by my current carrier Fido through until Feb 3. When is the best time to activate on PM so that I don't lose out on what I've spent on my current Fido billing cycle? ie. When the optimal time to switch? Thanks!

40 REPLIES 40

hi @Kovacsa port can be completed within 2 hours

Check with Fido first and see if you get any  more back if leave early.  But if postpaid, you have paid one month in advance they should refund the days left if you leave early.  If not, then just port 5 days before 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Kovacsa , I agree with @Handy1  that port can be done anytime,  like now, no need to wait. Hey, this is one of the few things you get to choose on your own 😊.  The day. I did mine without thinking about it and was "assigned " a day based on when I activated.  Since you will be pro rated for few dollars from Fido if postpaid client, why wait.

I also agree with @hTideGnow  that if you wanna wait, i wouldn't go beyond January 31 , just in case... 😊

But I'm glad to hear that your SIM card came quickly!!

Kovacsa

Good to know!  I figure the port times will be a bit longer since there are a lot of ppl switching carriers to take advantage of the Boxing Week specials

obsydion
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did the same as you, Boxing Week special plan and was wondering when to port over to PM from Koodo. I chose 3 days before my Koodo billing date to give myself a bit of extra time in case the transfer had any issues. If you are porting over your number, it is said to take 30min to up to 5 hours. I did the the port over the weekend and it took around 45 mins.

@Kovacsa  billing will start once you activate the SIM card on the app and every 30 days after that 

Kovacsa

Thanks, when does PM bill next?  I purchased the plan on Jan 7, but haven't activated yet.  Does PM charge next 30 days after I purchased or do they charge again 30 days after my service is activated on PM?

@Kovacsa  Yes . It’s not so much of a refund they will give you . But only charge your the days you used as it’s prorated service . And you pay after use so if you normally pay $40 a month and only use 15 days before actually porting out you will have final bill of around $20 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kovacsa  The best time is when ever you’re ready . And Fido unlike PM is post paid so everything is prorated . It would matter more if your were porting out of PM (pre paid ) where there is no refunds so incase like that you would want to do it few days before your renewal date to minimize money lost . But that wont  be the case comming from post paid service . So in your case  best time is when your ready to 

Kovacsa

Thanks, I'm billed on the 3rd of each month by Fido for the current month service, ie Jan 3 - Feb 3rd, bill date Jan 3.  I'm assuming this is "post paid"?

You're saying Fido should issue a final bill with credit for the days I'm not no longer with them after the the port?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Kovacsa 

give yourself enough time in case porting is stuck somehow

I would do it at least 5 days before your Fido billing day  And ,  if you are on postpaid, Fido will refund the days that you left early

(a reminders, once you submit the porting request, make sure you still have your fido sim card in the phone, wait for Fido message and reply Yes to Fido before you take out Fido sim and put in PM sim card)

Need Help? Let's chat.