Best Unlimited + Data Plan

Roger3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What is the best talk and text plan?

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Falstead66 wrote:

I don’t think it’s fair thing 50 back to mom and 8.5 g of data And when is all used up to date on shots off that’s not fair

@Falstead66 this is how plans work at Public Mobile.  You pay up front for a specific set of things (in your case:  unlimited calling to Canadian and US phone number while you are in Canada, unlimited texting to/from any number in the world while your'e in Canada, and 8.5gb of data to use while you're in Canada).  You get access to the things in your plan, nothing more and nothing less.  When you run out of data, it stops.  This is to avoid getting unexpected large overage bills at the end of the month like you would with many other providers.  If you need more data you can purchase data add-on(s) as needed, ask the moderator team to help with an early renewal, or get by with just WiFi and no mobile data until your next renewal date.

You are welcome to your opinion that this is unfair or not good, but it's just how it works here.  There are many other providers in Canada that don't just cut you off.  Koodo for example has "shock free data" on their post-paid plans and allow you to keep using your data if you authorize it by responding to the text they send you saying you've run out, and then you are billed for the extra data usage on your next bill.  Some other providers (I think Lucky or Chatr, maybe?) let you keep using data for free once you've run out but they slow it down to a painful trickle.  My point is, there are other options if what PM offers doesn't meet your needs.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Falstead66 wrote:

Are you there are you **bleep**ing stupid I have a reading disability now you’re judging me how rude

@Falstead66 

You said this:

"I need more data unlimited for free without extra charges"

I read this thinking you had to be joking. Like really - unlimited data for free. Seriously.
So I said lol.

You then said this:

"I need more unlimited data"

Well sure wouldn't we all. But I didn't reply to that.

Then you said this:

"I don’t think it’s fair thing 50 back to mom and 8.5 g of data And when is all used up to date on shots off that’s not fair"

I have no idea what you're trying to say or ask. Maybe you're commenting on how data just stops when used up.
To which I replied with question marks and suggested maybe using Google Translate in case English wasn't your first language.

But no...now you're calling *me* stupid for not understanding what you wrote when what you wrote made little to no sense.

So if you feel that all of this somehow offended you and how could I *possibly* know you had some kind of reading thing then I do apologize for offense taken.

Falstead66
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are you there are you **bleep**ing stupid I have a reading disability now you’re judging me how rude

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Falstead66 wrote:

I don’t think it’s fair thing 50 back to mom and 8.5 g of data And when is all used up to date on shots off that’s not fair

??? Perhaps if English is not your first language you could use Google Translate and write in what you prefer and then copy/paste the English to here.

Falstead66

Falstead66

I need more unlimited data

dennisedge

Hi,

You need to turn off many of the applications under your data.

I only run contacts, email, safari, my banking and a few more. My data has never gone over 400 mb/ month.

Agreed,

i just bought this $25-2 plan and noone can touch it. Most are at least double the cost.

FYI..... simm cards are free at Walmarts in Canada. You save another $10.00 on your set- up.

Dennis

dennisedge

Agreed,

i just bought this $25-2 plan and noone can touch it. Most are at least double the cost.

FYI..... simm cards are free at Walmarts in Canada. You save another $10.00 on your set- up.

Dennis

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Roger3 

Get the plan that is within your budget that includes the most.  If you are always running out of data, add-ons will be expensive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Falstead66 wrote:

I need more data unlimited for free without extra charges

lol

Falstead66

I need more data unlimited for free without extra charges

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The best plan to start out with is the $13 plan.  Unlimited texting and picture messaging, unlimited canada wide incoming calls, 250 MB of data.  100 minutes Canada wide outgoing.  If you need more outgoing calls, you can get about 500 more minutes using Google hangouts and use up your 250 mb data quota.  Unlimited outgoing if you use wifi.  You could also purchase 400 minutes of voice add on for $15, which does not expire until it is used up.

You can also purchase an additional 1 GB of data that does not expire until it is used up for $30.  Your monthly 250 mb get used up first.

If you can live with these limits, this is a great plan, if not, you can easily switch to a more expensive plan the next month. 

selva1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Emails and texts have given way to social media and streaming video. When we're on the go, we don't want to just be connected, we want to be entertained. Even the best cell phone plans in Canada have some of the most expensive data rates in the world. The more you know about how much data you use, the better you can pick the cheapest mobile phone plan. 

That means you get 1GB of 3G-speed data for $23 ($25-$2) and nationwide talk and text is included. If you keep your data use under 1GB and don't need high-speed LTE data, then this is probably the best plan in the country from any carrier. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Roger3 wrote:

I'm currently on a plan that is no longer available to new users, and I've just set up the suggested $25 limited time only plan on my new phone and trying it out.  I'm a couple of days in, and right now, I think it may be a problem for me to use, but that could be partly due to it being a new phone, and not having all my 'stuff' set up correctly yet.

I'm already getting 'high mobile usage' warnings on my plan, but it's been 100 MB of usage, from the 1 GB allotment.

I generally don't use a lot of data, my current everyday plan (not now available) has 12 GB over 90-days, and usually, I use less than 3 GB over the 90-days.

If you call between provinces a lot, get Canada wide (& the US if required).  If you mainly make local calls, get province-wide, except if you're in a provincial/territorial border area.  'Local calls' are not included across borders.

Text is international (including Canada and the US), or not at all, and you're probably not looking at the limit use options.

@Roger3 wrote:

Only you can best answer this quetsions for yourself.  It not only depends on how much data you need but the speed of data that you need.  Another factor is the price/cost of the plan and how much you are willing to pay for service.   Anything we say here is just a guess because we know way of knowing how you using your phone.  I suspect that most people will be wanting to go for the $25 500+500MB/unlimted talk/unlimted text, or the $40 4.5GB+500MB/unlimtied talk/unlimited text plans, but that doesn't meant that's best for you.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Roger3 A friend lives in cottage country, without access to landlines, and swears by the $50 plan: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed

He renews about every 3 weeks with moderator assistance.

Before signing up suggest perusing the topics raised in Community for some background, and, if you're inclined, reading 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

Welcome to PM. Robot Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@geopublic wrote:

The good thing about PM is that if you need additional data you can always schedule a plan change or buy add-on that never expire.

Yes, BUT, plan data tends to be far less expensive.  SO, it's worth trying to pick the "right" data plan for you.

@srlawren  I agree in a perfect world, but sometimes data requirements change for a number of factors that one can't predict or foresee, so I'm just pointing out that with PM you're not tied into a contract and you can easily change plans after your 30 or 90 day renewal period.

srlawren

@geopublic wrote:

@geopublic best band for your buck assuming you are a light data user, yes

@srlawren  No I'm a heavy user but have access to Wi-Fi most of the day. Smiley Happy

@geopublic okay, you know what I meant here:  light mobile data user.  😛

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@geopublic best band for your buck assuming you are a light data user, yes

@srlawren  No I'm a heavy user but have access to Wi-Fi most of the day. Smiley Happy

srlawren

@geopublic wrote:

@Roger3   IMHO the best bang for your buck is the $25.00 promo plan (limited time offer).

@geopublic best bang for your buck assuming you are a light data user, yes

@geopublic wrote:

The good thing about PM is that if you need additional data you can always schedule a plan change or buy add-on that never expire.

Yes, BUT, plan data tends to be far less expensive.  SO, it's worth trying to pick the "right" data plan for you.

@geopublic wrote:

@Roger3 wrote:

@Roger3  It all depends on what your usage needs are.

@Roger3 this is the main point.  How much data do you typically use?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Roger3 wrote:

@Roger3  It all depends on what your usage needs are. IMHO the best bang for your buck is the $25.00 promo plan (limited time offer). The good thing about PM is that if you need additional data you can always schedule a plan change or buy add-ons that never expire.

For all available plans click on the link on the top of this page. You also have the option of creating a custom plan if none of the plans meet your requirements.

Need Help? Let's chat.