cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Order of Steps When Swtiching to Public Mobile

aliaksar2000
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When you switch from a provider to Public Mobile, what is the best order of the steps to do? First order the SIM card, then activate the new SIM card (line) and then cancel the old provider? And when does the billing with Public Mobile starts? The day that you get the SIM card or the day that you activated your Public Mobile account (=the day you completed the transfer)?

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aliaksar2000 

No it still applies to you but are the taxes in Quebec an HST or GST+PST? If its the latter you will only be charged GST on your order.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aliaksar2000 

With an activation bundle the sim card is free. Otherwise its $4.99. CCS sometimes has stackable promotions like the 2gb data promotion you mentioned but there is no guarantee. But you can order just a sim card and decide once it arrives whether or not you activate with CCS because they have an additional stackable data promotion. The owner will still offer you the 30% off you just dont get a free sim card.....you use the $4.99 one you purchased.

aliaksar2000

Oh. We are in Quebec. So it means this option isn't for us? 😞

@aliaksar2000 wrote:

Is it a company/store? How do I reach them?

HI @aliaksar2000 

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/

It is a store in Toronto, but you can call them and ask 

Also, you can buy online and they will ship

aliaksar2000

Wow. Thanks for your time. I read it all and it's full of great tips, especially  the one about "...Until July 10th they are offering 30% off your first month and a free sim card ($25 - $7.50 (30% off)=$17.50+tax) or their pm sim cards are $4.99+tax. Sim cards are shipped free via Canada Post and arrive in 5 business days...". What is "Canadian Cell supplies"? Is it a company/store? How do I reach them? We already decided what plan it would be. There is a promo for new customers "Extra 2 GB free data for 12 months". Will we be able to combine this promo, together with this 30% off for the first bill and 30% of for the cost of SIM Card?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aliaksar2000 

Well I would decide on what plan you think suits you best and that would determine where I would get my sim card and whether I would do a retail activation (soon to be eliminated) or an online activation at home.

If you are not a large data user and the $15 or $25 plan would suit your needs then I recommend ordering an activation bundle from Canadian Cell supplies. Until July 10th they are offering 30% off your first month and a free sim card ($25 - $7.50 (30% off)=$17.50+tax) or their pm sim cards are $4.99+tax. Sim cards are shipped free via Canada Post and arrive in 5 business days.

Find out if any of your friends or family members are public mobile customers so you can ask for their referral code to recieve the $10 bonus referral credit. If not just make a new friend here and send them a private message and ask your new friend for their referral code. Members who send you an unsolicited referral codes are not your friends and are breaking the terms of service by doing so....

If you want to keep your current phone number then if you have a prepaid plan then you must port out from an active account (preferably with a few days left in your 30 day cycle in case you encounter a problem) unless its telus or koodo then your account doesnt need to be active. Postpaid accounts will be prorated so when you port out doesn't really matter. Just don't cancel your account....porting will do that for you.

When you do port out either at activation or after once your sim card and account are set up and services all working and you can port in yourself thru your self serve account be sure to leave your old sim card in your phone to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of recieving it. All you need to port is the full name on your account, phone number and account number. Add an alternate phone number(optional) just in case....your mom, partner, work....any number you could be reached at or left a message will do.

"Billing" starts the day you activate but pm is prepaid so you pay before you get service but your 30 day cycle starts at activation. So if you ordered from CCS (above) the activation bundle then you pay when you order it but your first 30 days of service starts once your sim card arrives and you contact CCS to activate your sim card or if you just purchase a sim card then when you activate the sim card and choose and pay for your plan.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@aliaksar2000 billing starts the date you activate the PM SIM card and pick a plan. It is all prepaid, so pay upfront for the plan and then you should have 30 days services from that point until the next payment/renewal.

1-obtain SIM card first.

2-you can activate with a temporary number, then port in your other provider's number OR, you can apply to port during activation of the SIM card.

Active SIM card online here:Activate Your SIM Card Online | Public Mobile 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aliaksar2000 @Hi the day you activate you pay you also can port number during activation

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @aliaksar2000 

1. Buy sim card from store.  Buy online could take 3 weeks for delivery

2. do you need to port over your number?  If you do, Do Not cancel your old account. You can request porting while activate.  Just provide the account number of the old provider,.  Once porting completed, it will cancel you old account for you

3. Billing start when you complete activation.  It is prepaid, so you pay for the next 30 days while you activate 

Need Help? Let's chat.