cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BYOD Phone with working SIM not connecting now to Public Mobile Network

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I changed my Public Mobile physical SIM card today from my current phone to a  previously used phone that I received today from a vendor seller. The previous phone  was working fine on Public Mobile for talk, text and data. But now the changed phone connects to the Public Mobile network for around 5 mins when talk, text and data works, but after that it goes into a Network Locked, Emergency Calls Only mode.

Same symptom after several re-starts of the changed phone. Made sure the Mobile Network setting is not the 5G option, since I do not have a 5G plan

When I put the SIM back to the old phone, the old phone works fine for talk, text and data.

Wondering what the issue could be with the changed phone and working SIM combo?

It is supposed to be unlocked as per the seller and the IMEI is not on the blacklist when I checked. Since it connects for around 5 mins on Public Mobile and then disconnects, is that the symptom of a locked phone or is it something else that Public Mobile can resolve by re-provisioning the SIM on the changed phone. Or something else?

Thanks for your help!

12 REPLIES 12

Time to reach out to where you bought it from and ask for a refund. 

I see Network Locked. Emergency Calls Only

Phone IMEI is not black listed.

Step 1 shows multiple carriers but,

Step 2 using different carrier SIM does not work. So guess the phone is locked.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi @Chalupa_Batman that YouTube guy is my friend too, I just searched YouTube and added him as friend (Like). lol

Hi @00101101 you said phone is locked, what error you see?? SOS?

Check if phone is blacklisted

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Hey @00101101 

I'm not an Android guy but my Android buddy sent me this. Try this and see what it says.

The user would be informed immediately after inserting the Public Mobile SIM card and turning on the device if it were locked.

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@00101101   It sounds like it could be locked.  You can check with an iPhone by going to Settings - General - About - Carrier Lock.  I'm not sure what the route is for Android, perhaps @Chalupa_Batman can help there.  Edited to add, can you try another sim in the phone?

This cannot be a case of the phone being locked to another carrier.  A phone locked to another carrier wouldn't work at all and wouldn't be usable for 5 minutes at a time.

Hey @00101101 

I'm not an Android guy but my Android buddy sent me this. Try this and see what it says.

I reached out a CS Agent on the link you provided @Chalupa_Batman , thank you!

It is a Samsung S21

No I did not do a factory reset when I got it, it was already factory reset.

@Chalupa_Batman   Yes I've heard of that happening.  My afterthought was to try another working sim in the phone because if it's locked that should do the same thing.   But having said that when I discovered my Android was locked when I switched to PM it wouldn't work at all, not even for a few minutes.

Great question @Phil_Adelphus  as I haven't been into Android for over 10 years and I've been on an iPhone. Here is what I'm thinking as I've seen this a lot. I'm thinking when they GOT the phone, it was unlocked. And, perhaps not knowing, when they did a factory reset, it place the lock back on it. It happens a lot on American based cell phones.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@00101101   It sounds like it could be locked.  You can check with an iPhone by going to Settings - General - About - Carrier Lock.  I'm not sure what the route is for Android, perhaps @Chalupa_Batman can help there.  Edited to add, can you try another sim in the phone?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @00101101 

You can always reach out to a CS Agent to reprovision it for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

It sounds odd that it's not working if the phone is indeed unlocked. But when you put the SIM into your old phone everything is fine. This sounds like something is off with the new phone. When you got it, did you do a factory reset? 

Need Help? Let's chat.