cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for referrals

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Hey community,
just wondering if PM / community has a position on asking for referrals. I know RFD discourages/ doesn't allow it. I do not believe I have seen anything here.

If there isn't would it be appropriate to post in a thread "if a someone helped you decide to switch to PM, thank them by giving a referral"

8 REPLIES 8

JasonT1983
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I totally agree as I do not want a forum full of useless posts asking for referral, ads, etc

I am sure PM have a policy on this as well

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unsolicited requests are tacky and likely to result in very few takers.  RFD does frown in it for good reason.  If they didn't, the forums would be littered with solicitations.  Although my time here on this forum is short and I have not seen any solicitations, I would be willing to bet that some kind of policy would be forthcoming if the practice becomes rampant. 

I m also agreed with @SD08 and @srlawren pretty valid point
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

srlawren

I agree with @SD08, we shouldn't ask for them.  That said, I've had...I think two....community members (in the past year and a half mind you) contact me via private message and offer me their referrals, becuase I had been helpful in their decision to make the move.  I did, greatefully, accept on both occasions, and followed up with a sincere thanks.  I don't see any issue if the offer was made without prompting or requesting, but agree that it would be tacky and off-putting to see people asking for it on their responses.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

SD08

I think it should be left up to the new subscriber if they want to give a referral to someone on this community, without any encouragement from community members. I certainly don't want to see posts from members saying "if you found this post helpful and decided to switch, please consider giving me a referral."  And if you are talking about recommending another person for referral credit, then that can open up the person making the recommendation to criticism too (e.g. favouritism, etc).  There is too much potential for discord.  This community is great becouse of the members' general orientation toward being helpful and sharing their experience. To openly encourage referrals for members, especially for individual cases, would turn the help forum into a competition. Not something I want to see.

PM is not a traditional carrier in that it has no call centre support, nor is it a particularly well-known company compared to the competition, so a potential new subscriber should be doing a lot of due diligence before signing up. Part of that diligence should be checking out the community where the support is provided. In doing so, they will easily see which members are being helpful. When I signed up, I was the only one in my family/friends circle who even knew of PM, and I had no one to whom I could give the referral credit. Without any encouragement, I chose one community member whom I saw was being very helpful with quality responses, and offered it to them. I think that's the way it should remain, entirely up to the new member. If they don't want to give a free referral like I did, that is up to them.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@mimmo wrote:
Hey community,
just wondering if PM / community has a position on asking for referrals. I know RFD discourages/ doesn't allow it. I do not believe I have seen anything here.

If there isn't would it be appropriate to post in a thread "if a someone helped you decide to switch to PM, thank them by giving a referral"

Go ahead; no issue. The problem is anyone giving a referral must know the phone number and that should not be posted in this forum.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Agreed with @ShawnC13

I don't know how that gonna work first specially here at community fourm because usually and mostly only those people's sign up for fourm who already have a pm account so refferal here at community won't work Cuz they are already user and and refferal work when u activate the plan
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Not sure how that would work as "most" of the people are already signed up with PM and referrals have to be done at that time.  The person that did help should have mentioned to them to enter the referral number during activation just like my referral did for me.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.