cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Cellular Workaround Question

majsiddiqui
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello PM Community,

I recently learned that to use an Apple Watch with cellular service, you must have a smartphone plan and then add a smartwatch plan for $10/month for 1GB of data. However, since PM does not support eSIM or smartwatch plans, I am wondering if anyone has figured out a workaround to get a Apple Watch cellular plan via another service provider without leaving PM?

I feel like to own an Apple Watch with cellular plan, I am limited to Bell, Rogers, Telus, Freedom Mobile networks and pay premium price for a smartphone plan then add an add-on plan for Apple Watch. I called Telus and informed them that I am with PM which is technically Telus network, and the phone rep said that both my iPhone and Apple Watch must be on same network (i.e. Telus) for Apple Watch cellular service to work. Why would Apple release a product that ties customers to specific SPs and add further restrictions that they must be on same account. SMH.

8 REPLIES 8

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@majsiddiqui 

Apple is a control freak.  In the name of user experience, Apple keeps their iDevice, iOS and MFi in a tight control as Apple does not want any non-Apple certified hardware or software to screw up their user experience.  iPhone does not have SD card slot.  They don't want someone to insert a slow SD card to affect the iPhone performance. When Apple says the iPhone and iWatch must be connected to the same account and the same mobile network.  The mobile providers are happy to oblige as they have another reason to sell another plan to the same customer.

EU is forcing Apple to use USB-C connector in their iDevices.  The new iPhone 15 will have an authentication chip to make sure that the third party USB-C cable are certified for MFi.  Otherwise, you will get the "This accessory is not supported" message.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/02/10/apple-planning-to-limit-iphone-15-usb-c-port/

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@majsiddiqui 

The apple watch has to be set up thru the users iPhone and this can only be done thru a provider that supports the service. I have wondered if tbe set up could be done with a supported providers Sim card in the users phone from another customer then switched back? IE. A family member with an iPhone using telus puts their Sim card in your iPhone to do the set up. It's been awhile since I was reading up on this so this may have been a regular Sim card set up and not an e-sim.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@majsiddiqui 

Looks like you can only get eSIM on the top tier carriers if you want to answer, make calls and texting on your Apple Watch.😭

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@majsiddiqui   Apple is trouble. Samsung and Google don't have such restrictions with their watches

majsiddiqui

I just checked Lucky Mobile community post and someone had the same question about Apple Watch and they were informed Lucky Mobile does not support smartwatches since they are pre paid service. 😞

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@majsiddiqui "iPhone and Apple Watch must be on same network" doesn't mean they must be on same account. For instance I have iPhone and Fitbit, and Fitbit can get text message too, because they are on same network by WIFI or by data plan.

majsiddiqui

I'm not sure about Bell because their website talks about standalone plans but the store rep advised that it has to be tied to smartphone plan. I think some store reps are also not clear how this new technology works...Last week I was chatting with a Rogers rep and she advised that you don't need a smartphone plan to get a standalone smartwatch plan. So, I called the nearest Rogers store to confirm and the store advised that I do need a smartphone plan in order to activate an Apple Watch plan. So, it's been super confusing talking to different carriers staff. Someone advised that I go to Apple store and purchase the watch from them and see if they can activate it with one of the supported carriers. Not sure if Apple Store will make a difference.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@majsiddiqui  is the one offered by Bell , $10, a standalone plan? no tie with exiting phone number

and Lucky supports eSIM, but minimum plan would be $15

Need Help? Let's chat.