cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any thoughts on the samsung galaxy A5?

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey folks,

So I went to costco and found the samsung galaxy a5 at 390$ + tax. Any thoughts on this phone? Does anyone have it? Would you recommend someone to get it? Does it work well on the public mobile network?

Thanks in advance! 😄

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the follow-up, @bilal684.  If you get a chance to let us know how it likes it later, the feedback would be appreciated.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bilal684

The phone is not for me, I was about to recommend a friend to get it. He has about 400$ budget or so. He doesn't want a pricy phone. From what I heard in this thread, I'll recommend him to purchase it.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've heard good things about the A5. It's in that sweet spot where there's lots of choices though.

Questions I would have:

1. How long do you plan on keeping this phone?
  2. What do you want to use it for?

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bilal684

Just my opinion and know that I am a Samsung user (s7) and I've been very happy with my device.  There's a lot of truth to the fact that you can buy another device (say a One Plus 5 or an Essential Phone, just to name a couple) that will cost you a bit more and will give you "more phone".  With that said, I know people who have the A5 and have nothing but good things to say about the device.

Great camera, solid easy-to-use device, has Band 66 for the next generation of frequecies that will be coming to most carriers in the next few years (already being used by FM).  It will work great with PM's (TELUS) network.  It really depends how "techie" you are. The other phones I mentioned will give you a more "vanilla" Android experience compared to the A5 but at $390, it's a good device for a pretty fair price, it's unlocked, and buying it from Costco makes any issues you have a breeze with their generous return policy.Smiley Happy

And like @srlawren said, Samsung has come along way in the past few years.

srlawren

@shadowbanker as much as I'm not a huge fan of Samsung software, a lot has changed in the 3 years since the Note 4 was released.  Their current devices are quite high quality in terms of hardware, and their newer "Samsung Experience" software has gotten much less obtrusive than it was when it was "Touch Wiz" back then.  

I personally still wouldn't buy a Samsung device *for myself* but that's just preference; I recognize that they are great devices, extremely popular and for a reason.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Personally I wouldn't bother with Samsung. Use the money as a down payment for a more decent phone. My wife had a Galaxy 4 or something and the thing was a total p.o.s. Battery had to be replaced under warranty 3 times and it finally stopped working altogether after less than 2 years. She's on a iPhone now and never looked back.

@jeffster1970 If you really want the A5, you can possibly get it for less than $100. Have a look here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-hot-koodo-samsung-a5-70-samsung-s7-135-lg-g6-210-2158185/

jeffster1970

It's a good phone for that price; while this isn't super important, it's a very nice looking phone, one of the nicer phones you'd hold.  I cringe that my son is now refusing to use a case, but it is what it is.  I generally don't like Samsung, but this one is pretty sweet and seems well equipped, other than it's on the Freedom Network. 

srlawren

@bilal684 the version Costco sells will work fine with Public Mobile (it will be a Canadian/North American version).

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a5_(2017)-8494.php

It's a decent mid-range phone actually.  5.2" full HD (1080p) display is high enough resolution for eveyrthing but VR use basically, and small-to-medium-sized-hand friendly.  IP68 certified so you don't have to worry about using it in rain, dropping it in a sink/toilet (eww), or having a friend shove you in a pool while the phone is in your pocket (shallow end, at least).  3GB RAM is enough for casual to medium usage, as long as you don't need a ton of apps open at once or plan to run a lot of games all at the same time etc.  It only has 32GB of storage but has a microSD card for expansion if you want more.  Chipset is a bit mid-range but again for casual to light gaming usage it's totally fine.

It all depends what you want to with it and what your budget it.  I'd say it's a decent buy at $390 Canadian.  I remember seeing it a Telus store recently for $499 or $599 outright, and even Costco's website shows it for $460.  I'd say if you don't have cutting-edge needs, don't mind a "traditional" 16:9 screen with a bigger top and bottom bezzel than many decives have now (e.g.: Samsung S8/S8+, LG G6/V30, OnePlus 5T, Essential PH-1, etc etc) and don't want to drop more money it's probably a decent choice.

jeffster1970

My son has this phone and it seems decent enough. Though he's with Freedom. 

Really no issues, and it seems fast enough for his needs, like Clash of Clans, or whatever it is. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

That is pretty pricey for the Samsung A line.  Right now, you can get the Samsung s8 for about the same price.  Since this is not a shopping forum, I am not going to stray from the forum intent.  Google RFD Samsung Galaxy s8 and we can continue the discussion where it belongs.  BTW, I generally don't like carrier phones.  I would much prefer the Google pixel 2 or 2 XL 

Need Help? Let's chat.