cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 8.1.0 APN settings

frankindustries
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an Asus Zenphone 4 with Android 8.1.0 and I am attempting to get my data package working and everything I have read has said that I need to change my APN settings to the PM specific settings but when I attempt to do that I am unable to add or edit any APN settings. ( they are greyed out)  

So I did some reading on this issue and apparently most phones running Android 8.1.0 are unable to edit the APN settings. There was a solution offered that involved rooted your phone (whatever that is) or running something called an ADB shell ( also what the hell is that) Needless to say I am not comfortable with either of those options and am hoping that there might be a more current solution ? 

16 REPLIES 16

humon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Whomever of you folks came up with all or part of the solution - thanks.

I had the APN problem on an Asus Zenfone4Max running Android 8.x & following logic included in these posts was able to use ADB on my Linux system directly.

I thought I had to download the full Android Studio to fix it, but not.

I entered developer mode on the phone, ran ADB and wrote a new APN, saved it, restarted and problem solved.

Thanks community.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@frankindustries Looks like some link is no longer existed for MyNewAPN_test.apk

You can Googl this app. If you can't find it, you can pm me, I will sent this app to you, since the PM community doesn't allow upload app. 

My cell is Asus Zonfone 4 Max and the app is working for me.

But again You will take your own risk, I am not responsibility for any damage for your phone.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@frankindustriesPart of the problem is likely your phone, if you look on https://willmyphonework.net/ the phone you have is not very compatible with Public Mobile, you may be able to get a connection to 3G in some areas, depending on where you live, but most of PM data is throttled 4 LTE, which your phone does not support.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@frankindustries wrote:

I have an Asus Zenphone 4 with Android 8.1.0 and I am attempting to get my data package working and everything I have read has said that I need to change my APN settings to the PM specific settings but when I attempt to do that I am unable to add or edit any APN settings. ( they are greyed out)  

So I did some reading on this issue and apparently most phones running Android 8.1.0 are unable to edit the APN settings. There was a solution offered that involved rooted your phone (whatever that is) or running something called an ADB shell ( also what the hell is that) Needless to say I am not comfortable with either of those options and am hoping that there might be a more current solution ? 

More info can be found here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/241715#M...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sandpublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

My intentions were not to take credit or hide the fact that it was a copy or paste. I was just trying to help the original poster and since the original links were  included I tought it was ok.  @frankindustries  I apologize for any inconveniece and next time I will  just include the entire link so not to offend anyone.

Very nice. It's actually more towards flattering for the original writer I think. I have copied useful "boilerplate" text before too...but then I massage it a little to something of the way I might say it. I have seen my text re-appear on the rare occassion too. Doesn't bother me. It probably doesn't bother wetcoaster too. It was just surprising recognition on their part.

Got it. Thanks for letting me know, I will make sure I do the same in future posts.

Any Joe can drive a Geo Metro in the sand. It's just a messy game to not at least change it up from the original.

??? Please explain

I have a little Metro. Gets a zillion miles per imperial gallon. I was just continuing on with the thing about copying others text using some text that almost certainly won't be copied :).

sandpublic

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

My intentions were not to take credit or hide the fact that it was a copy or paste. I was just trying to help the original poster and since the original links were  included I tought it was ok.  @frankindustries  I apologize for any inconveniece and next time I will  just include the entire link so not to offend anyone.

Very nice. It's actually more towards flattering for the original writer I think. I have copied useful "boilerplate" text before too...but then I massage it a little to something of the way I might say it. I have seen my text re-appear on the rare occassion too. Doesn't bother me. It probably doesn't bother wetcoaster too. It was just surprising recognition on their part.

Got it. Thanks for letting me know, I will make sure I do the same in future posts.

Any Joe can drive a Geo Metro in the sand. It's just a messy game to not at least change it up from the original.

??? Please explain

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sandpublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

sandpublic

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sandpublic wrote:

sandpublic

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@frankindustries 

Short of reading those threads that sandpublic linked, I seem to recall someone saying a Roam Mobility SIM might allow adding APN as well. Just another option.

Actually, that reply WAS a direct copy/paste - I thought the wording was familiar... https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/No-longer-have-Public-mobile-APN-on-my-Asus-Zenfone-4-max-after/m-p/313201/highlight/true#M83456

Oh dear. Hey @sandpublic! How about a little credit when directly copying text. Or re-wording/formatting it some anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@frankindustries 

Short of reading those threads that sandpublic linked, I seem to recall someone saying a Roam Mobility SIM might allow adding APN as well. Just another option.

I believe this is the one you are thinking of, @Anonymous 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/New-User-Phone-works-Data-doesn-t/td-p/329648

Thank you for confirming that my memory isn't completely shot 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@frankindustries 

I believe this is the one you are thinking of, @Anonymous 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/New-User-Phone-works-Data-doesn-t/td-p/329648

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@frankindustries 

Actually, that reply WAS a direct copy/paste - I thought the wording was familiar... https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/No-longer-have-Public-mobile-APN-on-my-Asus-Zenfone-4-max-after/m-p/313201/highlight/true#M83456

Oh dear. Hey @sandpublic! How about a little credit when directly copying text. Or re-wording/formatting it some anyway.

@Anonymous wrote:

@frankindustries 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@frankindustries 

sandpublic

@frankindustries wrote:

This is what I found by searching previous posts, could be old but worth a try:

This is an Android 8.1 problem.

One way to deal with it: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708 (Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself. But have seen several reports that it works.)

Other people have had success putting a Freedom SIM in, which seemed to have allowed them to add a new APN, fill in Public Mobile settings, reboot. Put Public Mobile SIM in.

(I think... For me playing with an active SpeakOut SIM eventually populated the Public Mobile APN settings, but I didn't write down the exact steps, sorry.) YMMV.

Edit: Found the post https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/289974/h... in the big Android 8.1 APN thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715

Need Help? Let's chat.