cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis to help deciding on migration from PM to Koodo

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Without having insider’s knowledge, (and I’m not even in this industry), this is the best analysis I can come-up with on what might happen. I feel like we are nudged towards Koodo with these incentives as an indirect message that things will get worse soon. Hopefully, this will help in your decision to migrate or not.

As far as I know these are the PM Facts:

1. Fall Promo price was said to have “No Surprises”, however, contractually, this does not exist. The terms and conditions are mute on the “30-day notice” that everyone seems to refer to. There may be a small case for false advertising if we are “surprised”.
  2. Rewards were not part of the “no surprises” commitment.
  3. No other carrier provides rewards and is unique to PM
  4. PM Currently offer 4G/LTE plans in their promotions and plans.
  5. Not all PM customers are getting offers to migrate.

This likely means that PM is here to stay (point 5), 4G / LTE will remain part of the PM offerings (point 4), Rewards are likely to go (point 2 & 3), and your prices are unlikely to go up (point 1). However, with the transfer plans to Koodo getting sweetened over the past couple of weeks, it is likely that they will try to demonstrate that they have tried to “compensate” and provide alternative plans to PM subscribers prior to forcing a price increase. I still doubt that it would be fair and reasonable if they don’t increase everyone else’s PM plan who are not on the Fall promo. Regardless, I think that with these transfer offers they will be on better legal ground.

In short, I can see our PM plans going to $40 with rewards being eliminated in the near future, and likely a price increase shortly thereafter. In the long term, they may eliminate 4G, but by then 5G might be available – so who knows. The critical mass of Fall Promo subscribers have likely switched to Koodo now, so there will be less resistance to the changes as well.

I for one don’t need additional data, but it is likely that the Koodo plan can be frozen for a couple of years before they contemplate increasing Koodo’s rates. Koodo would have a lot of unhappy customers otherwise.

So, $40 for 4GB effective data per month with no rewards and a likely price increase with PM, OR $40 for 6GB frozen for a couple of years with Koodo, and $100 for our troubles. We’ll get Canada-wide (I also don’t need) and tabs, but, we lose call forwarding. With an irresistible offer on a device (I don't need one), this could be a slam dunk. With this analysis, and only 1.5 months left pre-paid in PM, I am closer to switching over to Koodo.

15 REPLIES 15

MEU_21

@Ludditewrote:

@MEU_21 "So, in my case, with 1.5 months frozen in PM worth ~$60, the $100 credit gives be an additional $40. $40/12 = $3.33 for one year, so the Koodo plan becomes $36.67/m for one year ($40-3.33= $36.67)"

Currently if you activate on line you can also get a $100 referral bonus. BUT you must apply for that referral before activatiing. Several people will send you the necessary code for this but I've lost track of them. However this one (& no, it is not mine as I do not qualify for this deal) will work https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/ZVe2gIi-LGaL8kz

I am aware of the referral bonus, but I left it out intentionally. The reason being is that there are quite a few suggestions for SMS forgeries being shared on RFD for those who are not eligible for this plan, and I suspect that Koodo will eventually crack down on these hard. In short, I wouldn't count on the $50 -> $25 -> $100 referral until it is in the account. Koodo are not dumb, and money is money to them as well.

@MEU_21 "So, in my case, with 1.5 months frozen in PM worth ~$60, the $100 credit gives be an additional $40. $40/12 = $3.33 for one year, so the Koodo plan becomes $36.67/m for one year ($40-3.33= $36.67)"

Currently if you activate on line you can also get a $100 referral bonus. BUT you must apply for that referral before activatiing. Several people will send you the necessary code for this but I've lost track of them. However this one (& no, it is not mine as I do not qualify for this deal) will work https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/ZVe2gIi-LGaL8kz

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MEU_21

@Civic_Ewrote:

Can not switch LTE users to 3G ...

LOL - may be true but, I don't think it is worth it for me to lawyer-up to argue $40/m of 3G speed on LTE 😉

DavidNS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I understand that, but at PM they also said "no surprises" and they tried to go back on that.

I was with Koodo (=Telus =Public Mobile) before switching to Public Mobile (=Telus =Koodo) so I'm familiar with their tab, but I figured this plan had "fine print" being an unpublished plan where they could lock you in above and beyond any tab balance.

MEU_21

@DavidNSwrote:

So, in my case, with 1.5 months frozen in PM worth ~$60, the $100 credit gives be an additional $40. $40/12 = $3.33 for one year, so the Koodo plan becomes $36.67/m for one year ($40-3.33= $36.67)

Arent you locked in for 2 years, not one?

You are not locked-in for ANY period, unless you have a Tab... which as I 've mentioned above, you can pay off at any time. On their main page, you can see the tab "We don't have fixed term contracts".

Civic_E

Can not switch LTE users to 3G ...ECBD6E25-B030-48D7-925B-2D0FEEDCBDAF.jpeg

DavidNS

That's true for when you are with Koodo as well, so it is a mute point. Also, you don't have to have a 2-year tab contract with Koodo, and even if you do have a tab, you can pay it off any time to get out.

Oh thats good news!  In another thread they said that you were locked in for 2 years by taking part in the promo.  If thats not true thats great!  I can hack the promo by switching to koodo (= telus = public mobile) and take the credit to compensate for my unused time which will then give me the option to jump to another tier 2 at any time without losing unused time/money.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If they offered me $35 of 4 gb i would be all over it. 

I think there are hoping that even by offering 6 gb the average user probably will use 1/2 of that so really there is no cost to them.  I ususully get a way with 3gb /month.  so will the extra 3gb be any use to me???  not reallty. 

@bbdatawrote:

My issue is that PM is not offering options to stay with PM. How is moving to Koodo the only option?

Further, they are making assumptions that everyone wants more data.

I have yet to see an offer that aims at the budget conscious and sacrifice data. 

DavidNS

So, in my case, with 1.5 months frozen in PM worth ~$60, the $100 credit gives be an additional $40. $40/12 = $3.33 for one year, so the Koodo plan becomes $36.67/m for one year ($40-3.33= $36.67)

Arent you locked in for 2 years, not one?

MEU_21

@DavidNSwrote:

So, $40 for 4GB effective data per month with no rewards and a likely price increase with PM, OR $40 for 6GB frozen for a couple of years with Koodo, and $100 for our troubles. We’ll get Canada-wide (I also don’t need) and tabs, but, we lose call forwarding. With an irresistible offer on a device (I don't need one), this could be a slam dunk. With this analysis, and only 1.5 months left pre-paid in PM, I am closer to switching over to Koodo.

Or, stay with PM until a company outside the Telus/Koodo/PM umbrella offers a plan that is close enough in price to what PM offers and take that one.  Virgin is getting close with their 6GB for $60.  If you compare it to our current plan plus additional data its competetive.  Not as good as this promo, but I'm 99% sure that one of the other big 3 will offer something before the Fall promo disappears.

Sorry Telus = Koodo = Public Mobile.  You tried to go back on your word as a company, got caught, and now you want to lock us in for 2 years to buy you a cool down period so we forget how you tried to screw us.

I'm not buying it.  Other tier 2's will offer promos its only a matter of time.

That's true for when you are with Koodo as well, so it is a mute point. Also, you don't have to have a 2-year tab contract with Koodo, and even if you do have a tab, you can pay it off any time to get out.

DavidNS

I dont disagree with the math, but sometimes its not all about the lowest price.  Granted I wont double my bill to leave, but I'm seriously considering the 6gb for $60 from an outside tier 2.  Its not the lowest for sure, but its reasonable and my refusal to go with the Telus tier 2 is what works for me.

MEU_21

@bbdata

I agree, but it is one corporation in the end. I wish there was a $35 / 4GB (I'd even be ok with 3GB) plan with Koodo, but the reality is that they probably want to increase their ARPU, so it is unlikely that we will see anything sub-$40 /m. At least this way, we are getting the same rate plan, plus hopefully the $100 credit can be taken advantage of without the majority counting towards the pre-paid money frozen in PM - and make it count towards your monthly plan with Koodo. So, in my case, with 1.5 months frozen in PM worth ~$60, the $100 credit gives be an additional $40. $40/12 = $3.33 for one year, so the Koodo plan becomes $36.67/m for one year ($40-3.33= $36.67)

DavidNS

Or, stay with PM until a company outside the Telus/Koodo/PM umbrella offers a plan that is close enough in price to what PM offers and take that one.  Virgin is getting close with their 6GB for $60.  If you compare it to our current plan plus additional data its competetive.  Not as good as this promo, but I'm 99% sure that one of the other big 3 will offer something before the Fall promo disappears.

Sorry Telus = Koodo = Public Mobile.  You tried to go back on your word as a company, got caught, and now you want to lock us in for 2 years to buy you a cool down period so we forget how you tried to screw us.

I'm not buying it.  Other tier 2's will offer promos its only a matter of time.

bbdata

My issue is that PM is not offering options to stay with PM. How is moving to Koodo the only option?

Further, they are making assumptions that everyone wants more data.

I have yet to see an offer that aims at the budget conscious and sacrifice data. 

jonathan1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

if someone who moves over to koodo does not take a tab, is there any guarantee for them their monthly won't go up?  i'm still unsure of the attached strings and what will happen in the future, but the offers to switch to an unknown quantity slowly becoming more interesting.

Need Help? Let's chat.