cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my data (5GB) used up in one timestamp, 24 hrs after plan renewal

kdcald
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had some irregular data usage on my account this week. All 5GB of my data was used up in one timestamp according to my account's data usage history. Here's the timeline:

• Feb 28, 1pm: My plan renewed (according to a text)
  • Feb 29, 12:48pm: Timestamp on my data usage history for 5049.382 MB of data
  • Feb 29: 2pm: I received a text saying I've used 95% of my data

I've been with Public Mobile since July 2019 with the $40 per 30 days plan and have never used up all 5GB of my data in 30 days. 

On Feb 29 at 12:48pm, I was walking my dog and wasn't using my phone and didn't do anything out of the ordinary with it that morning or the day before (such as any updates or downloads). 

I have an iPhone 7 and the data usage history in my Settings isn't really helpful since I haven't reset the statistics since July 2019. But even then, nothing seems to stand out as an irregular jump in data usage. I also currently don't use a third-party data tracking app, so no help there. I use most of the data-saving tricks on my phone, such as turning off background refresh for apps and turning off data usage comletely for some.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Anything else I can check to diagnose the problem? I expect from Public Mobile's perspective, it's likely a problem with my phone or my activity. But the amout of data that was used, the fact I have never used 5GB of data in 30 days before, and the fact that I wasn't using my phone at all at 12:48pm on Feb 29 makes me wonder if something happened on Public Mobile's end. 

All comments or suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23

@iPhoneUser  Wowsers! Nice job....a comprehensive guide to reducing mobile data usage on an iPhone. Advice I would be unable to offer and may help @kdcald  with the mystery data use in this thread. But it's such a good guide it seem to be a shame that it will be lost in this thread. You should consider posting it in maybe the phones and hardware section under something like the top ten ways to minimize cellular data on an iPhone. Thank you!

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@iPhoneUser  Wowsers! Nice job....a comprehensive guide to reducing mobile data usage on an iPhone. Advice I would be unable to offer and may help @kdcald  with the mystery data use in this thread. But it's such a good guide it seem to be a shame that it will be lost in this thread. You should consider posting it in maybe the phones and hardware section under something like the top ten ways to minimize cellular data on an iPhone. Thank you!

That was from good old Google and is correct. I wondered where you wanted me to post it. But this is it. One of my last posts on setting up pop or imap on a mobile phone was moved to the lounge. And when I think about it setting up email or recommending data settings is relatively the same.....a set up. So why bother? And to top it all off another much more ruder, bully like, Oracle had to add his/hers unnecessary comments. You would think PM would expect Oracles to have peope skills and encourage participation. 

@iPhoneUser  The suggestions you provided were to help the OP in narrowing down what used their entire plan data bucket in one day but they are directly related to conserving data usage on your phone and I think they deserve to be easily accessible to pm customers with iPhones especially with smaller data allowances. While the pop/imap post may have been questionable in their opinions but this one is directly 100% phone related and with few iPhone users if any among the oracles at the moment they can't offer a whole lot of advice on the operation of them. I say post it in that category and see what happens....i have your back on this one.

Look how long it took me to get discussions vs lounge properly defined....6 months. You can't give up on contributing just because one post got waylaid. You have unique contributions to be made... don't give up on yourself.....i haven't.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@iPhoneUser  The suggestions you provided were to help the OP in narrowing down what used their entire plan data bucket in one day but they are directly related to conserving data usage on your phone and I think they deserve to be easily accessible to pm customers with iPhones especially with smaller data allowances. While the pop/imap post may have been questionable in their opinions but this one is directly 100% phone related and with few iPhone users if any among the oracles at the moment they can't offer a whole lot of advice on the operation of them. I say post it in that category and see what happens....i have your back on this one.

Look how long it took me to get discussions vs lounge properly defined....6 months. You can't give up on contributing just because one post got waylaid. You have unique contributions to be made... don't give up on yourself.....i haven't.

It was the second unnecessary rude remark that ******** me off. Not the move to the lounge. But after seeing that mine was moved....they sure miss a lot which only adds to the aggravation. Along with exceptionally poor people skills.