cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airolo and Public Mobile

nazhfulton1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am going to Europe this summer. I bought two different eSims through Airolo for the two different countries I am going to. Two questions.

1. Should I turn off my Public Mobile when I get there?

2. My Airolo says I can turn on Wifi Calling, but I know Public Mobile doesn't support this feature.  A Reddit thread with this question said that your original provider has to support Wifi calling and may only support it in Canada for it to work even when you are using Airolo. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Airalo/comments/x2cpqi/purpose_of_turning_on_wifi_calling/) Just confirming this since I do have the option to turn it on in my travel eSIMS. I'm just really confused.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

You shouldn't need 2 Airalo sims, as a single sim works with all their different plans in different countries. You may need to purchase different plans, but it all gets attached to one sim.

2023Sarlye
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We use Airolo and have no issues, you need to set it up here before you go and then just activate when you arrive. We have enough data to post to all social media and WhatsApp family and friends. When we travel we use WhatsApp phone and it worked seamlessly.

came upon this article here that might be helpful to you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Blog-Post-A-Tale-of-Two-SIMs-Navigating-th...

Have a great vacation!

edsou
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@nazhfulton1 I also used Airalo eSim when I travelled to Europe last year.  I think I turned off the PM sim but as mentioned already it really didn't matter because it didn't work.

I only used data and could not make any calls.  I had to download Skype and get Skype minutes in a panic when I did need to make a call to Canada and couldn't get wifi calling to work.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@nazhfulton1 

1. since PM has no service there, it does not matter if you turn off PM sim from the sim manager or not.  But you can if you like

2. PM has no Wifi Calling, so voice calls from and to your PM phone number won't work.  So, with your Airolo, you will be using it for data only.  If you need voice calls, best to use VoIP app like Fongo.  Some use TextNow but look like TextNow does not work when you are outside of US and Canada

Need Help? Let's chat.