cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding number to apple not working

genemetson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

WhenI try and add my new PM number to my apple id it says the number is already in use. I cannot seem to get in contact to customer customer service. For 2 days i just get error messages when clicking on the link from the unhelpful chatbot and trying to message a cs agent in the community space also fails as it says @CS_Agent is not a user (but that is what the chatbot says to message).

I am at a lost and wonder if i just need to change phone numbers and companies given its impossible to get support at Public Mobile

11 REPLIES 11

@genemetson wrote:

Thanks. I got in touch and they said all they can do is change my number if apple cannot fix the issue. Thanks to everyone on here trying to help 🙂

@genemetson - that is because it is not a Public Mobile issue, but a device setting issue. If you don't care about the number, go ahead and change it. 

genemetson

Thanks. I already had tried the deregister thing but it did not work. Waiting for apple support to call back and see they can help.

genemetson

Thanks. I got in touch and they said all they can do is change my number if apple cannot fix the issue. Thanks to everyone on here trying to help 🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@genemetson   this is an Apple iMessage registration issue and not something PM can help

You have to follow @esjliv provided link to deregister the Apple id linked to that phone number first

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@genemetson wrote:

WhenI try and add my new PM number to my apple id it says the number is already in use. I cannot seem to get in contact to customer customer service. For 2 days i just get error messages when clicking on the link from the unhelpful chatbot and trying to message a cs agent in the community space also fails as it says @CS_Agent is not a user (but that is what the chatbot says to message).

I am at a lost and wonder if i just need to change phone numbers and companies given its impossible to get support at Public Mobile

@genemetson - you are getting this message from Apple? EDIT - Does this help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254137860#:~:text=It%20is%20possible%20that%20your,linked%20to%....

you could try....

Deregister the number on the iphone: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

@genemetson  Please 

Message support directly

• while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click >>>here.<<<

Ego

i’ll give you this little shortcut as i just gave it to another person. if you go to contact support and all you get is the robo advisor, try this gambit.

IMG_0528.png

genemetson

Thanks. I finally managed to do that although still never managed to get any of the submit a ticket links from the chat bot to work. 2 days of trying is waring me down.

genemetson

Thanks. I just moved back to Canada so this is a totally new number for me and cannot be on old devices. I’ll try with Apple but it is also hard to contact them between country accounts. I did of course try googling and tried what people suggested but it did not work.

thanks for writing back

Ego

i’m not in any way saying not to contact support here, they can solve this pretty quickly in all likelihood. however i don’t think they work on the weekend, or at least it’s significantly reduced.

for you to maybe find a way to solve it on your own; is possible you have your phone number connected to an old/family apple id that you don’t use anymore? are you able to contact apple support and they may be able to help a little quicker, have you opened up your apple account on your computer in an attempt to link on there.

like i said, none of these are guaranteed to work, just something to try while you’re waiting for support to open 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@genemetson  

Message support directly

• while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click >>>here.<<<

Need Help? Let's chat.