cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-ons only plan?

Zz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can I get the US Calling add-on which is $8/10 days of calling (to Canada and US or just the US?) and then throw on the $10 500mb/data add on making my cost about $34 every 30 days or do I need a plan to add on "add-ons"? Also why did they take away "build your own plan"? 

5 REPLIES 5

Yes, need an Active Plan to use Add-ons. I don't think there even is/was any option to select "No Plan" through the website. Add-ons don't work when Plan is Suspended (because Plan wasn't prepaid/renewed) and lost forever when Suspended account is Terminated 90 days later).

I'd love to see the Plan Builder come back - so I'm happy that people keep mentioning it, lol - but I'm honestly not sure if it ever offered any options/combinations which would fit your needs better than the existing Canada & USA Plans, they're basically the best that Public/Telus can offer so if you need more then you've just gotta buy it elsewhere. 

You can get $15 Plan (because it's cheapest) or $25 Plan (because Unlimited Canada Talk) and use Long Distance Add-ons or 10-day USA Roaming Add-ons when needed... you can also populate a dual-SIM phone with a cheap USA-based Plan (and manually choose which number is active/inactive when travelling)... or you can get $50/$60 Plan (because Unlimited Canada & USA Talk, etc)... the best "value" depends on how often and how long you call or visit the USA. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Zz wrote:

Can I get the US Calling add-on which is $8/10 days of calling (to Canada and US or just the US?) and then throw on the $10 500mb/data add on making my cost about $34 every 30 days or do I need a plan to add on "add-ons"? Also why did they take away "build your own plan"? 

There's no 500MB data add-on that can be used in Canada. It's $10 for 200MB or $30 for 1GB. There is a 500MB roaming add-on but that is $15 and only works in U.S.

You're looking at $15 for a plan and $8 if you need some long distance to U.S. also add $10 for 200MB to get closer to the 500MB that you want. You'd  be better just to get the $25 plan and add the $8 long distance add-on. You gain unlimited calling and data would be more than double.

@popping wrote:

@Zz wrote:

You need a plan in order to purchase add-ons.  You cannot buy add-on without a plan.  The cheapest is the $15 plan.  US roaming minutes add-on is for calling US and Canadian number while you are in US.

@Zz  When you are planning to visit the US you can prepare by adding funds to your account. However do not purchase them til the day you are to arrive there as all US roaming add ons start immeadiately on the day of purchase (day ending at 11:59pm et). The best deal is the unlimited US calling/texting w/ limited data for $20.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Zz wrote:

You need a plan in order to purchase add-ons.  You cannot buy add-on without a plan.  The cheapest is the $15 plan.  US roaming minutes add-on is for calling US and Canadian number while you are in US.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Zz wrote:

You will need a plan to have functioning add-ons with the cheapest plan available is $15 plan with 100 mins outgoing/unlimited incoming mins and unlimited international texts and 250 mb data if you add your CC for autopay.  

If you're looking to call US purchse the $10/200 mins which work whilst you're in Canada and they will roll over every month until used up.  The 10 day add-ons are for roaming when you go to the states.

The BYOP was removed because not enough customers were using the feature.

Need Help? Let's chat.