Did you mean: 

Activating A Sim card using gift voucher

madi_ayling
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

IMG_0513.png

IMG_0514.png

IMG_0515.png

Hello, 

I would really appreciate any help. I’ve been trying to activate my sim card for 3 weeks and haven’t been able to get anywhere with it. 

I purchased a Public mobile sim card. When I went to activate it I couldn’t use my international credit card. I was told and saw other people with this problem. It seemed like the best way around this issue was to buy a gift voucher through recharge .com. So I bought a gift voucher. When I went to activate the sim card there was no spot to enter the gift card details under the payment methods. 

15 REPLIES 15

SuperMario1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sorry, I am not that techsaby
I am trying to add $55 in voucher but from my understanding a CS from PM has to suspend my account
Can somebody please help thanks a lot in advance

@LitlLdy- LoL So much snark from the other poster. And then makes no sense. First says not an easy workaround and then in the next breath says the gift cards are as easy as buying vouchers. Sounds like an easy workaround to me. And to think they want all happy happy joy joy with deep respect for everybody. Uh huh. Maybe I should report them for their lack of respect which they always demand. 

Having the zero balance card registered then doesn't matter. They can't take money from it. A wrongful charge can't happen. A renewal can't happen. An add-on can't be bought.

And, in the end, don't take the word of one agent answering a detailed, internal policy, technical question. We all should know this by now.

@LitlLdy   and not everyone has a zero balance gift card around for such use.  .. So, not an easy workaround afterall. LoL

@dust2dust ,  due to they cannot prove the Customer is real to the CRTC! Ok, but neither can a prepaid card prove the Customer is real either! 🤣

great excuse, but truth is, people can activate with a Visa gift card (with balance 🤣) , buying Visa GC isas easy as  buying voucher , still cannot be a solid proof the person is real to CRTC  (... unless we found out activating by Visa GC is now allowed too)

@dust2dust wrote:

@LitlLdy- Easy workaround. Change the registered card to a zero balance gift card. They then can't possibly renew the account and it fails. Or if they somehow want to take money "when & what they want. No can do.

@dust2dust , they could do that after signing up but the registered card will never be completely removed from the system! CS_Agent’s stated that they no longer allow signups with vouchers due to they cannot prove the Customer is real to the CRTC! Ok, but neither can a prepaid card prove the Customer is real either! 🤣

@LitlLdy- Easy workaround. Change the registered card to a zero balance gift card. They then can't possibly renew the account and it fails. Or if they somehow want to take money "when & what they want. No can do.

@softech wrote:

hi @LitlLdy   , yes turn out this is an outdated post  😞

after you posted , I messaged support, got the answer back within hour , and YES, agent's help of activation no longer an option.  

So self-activation with credit card is the only way

(btw, bravos to PM support for quick response)

@softech , that’s really to bad! Since they now require a payment card attached to the account to sign up with no option to remove it ourselves to charge us when & what they want to it seems like a huge negative step in my opinion but what do I know, I’m only a paying Customer! 😊

hi @LitlLdy   , yes turn out this is an outdated post  😞

after you posted , I messaged support, got the answer back within hour , and YES, agent's help of activation no longer an option.  

So self-activation with credit card is the only way

(btw, bravos to PM support for quick response)

@softech wrote:

@madi_ayling 

yes, you can use your gift voucher to activate  but not on the Activation portal directly. It involves a bit of extra steps

1. Open ticket with PM support by direct message them:
    https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
     **Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there
  2. PM support reply and ask you for the sim card number, an email address used for the activation (login for My Account).   
    They will activate the account with the sim card.  The account will have status SUSPENDED. 
    PM Support will then sent you the login and password. 
  3. Once the account is setup, you can login to My Account and load your voucher to finally activate the service. 

@softech , I had someone that wanted to activate today using a voucher but 2 CS_Agents refused to do it this way! I guess it depends on which agent they get! 

@Dunkman wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@softech , @Dunkman , I have always wondered why PM does not allow us to activate an account ourselves using a payment voucher! Have any of you ever received an answer as to why?

@LitlLdy 

No official response to the oracles about the reasoning. With the new PM portal, PM got rid of the activations with payment vouchers.  

In general, PM wants mostly an online presence. That is one reason why PM got rid of in store activations with third party vendors. Public mobile assumes most customers will have access to credit cards or visa debit.  

@Dunkman , I understand that but some of us don’t want a payment card on our account, especially when are no longer allowed to remove them from our accounts ourselves! The ability to pay without the card having to stay on the account is the key for some of us. We do mostly everything else ourselves so in my opinion some things make no sense as to how it is done! 

@LitlLdy wrote:

@softech , @Dunkman , I have always wondered why PM does not allow us to activate an account ourselves using a payment voucher! Have any of you ever received an answer as to why?

@LitlLdy 

No official response to the oracles about the reasoning. With the new PM portal, PM got rid of the activations with payment vouchers.  

In general, PM wants mostly an online presence. That is one reason why PM got rid of in store activations with third party vendors. Public mobile assumes most customers will have access to credit cards or visa debit.  

@softech wrote:

@LitlLdy   of course I don't have the official answer  🙂

Voucher used to be an option, removed since the introduction of new My Account.  Since the current activation will enabled Pre-Authorized payments, so i suspect PM wants that, and vouchers can't help.  So, they removed it to "encourage" people to activate with credit card/debit card, so Pre-authorized payments can be enabled and they have better "expected" income

@softech , I was thinking that was the reasoning for them wanting us to use a credit/debit card! Not that they would admit that! 🤣

@LitlLdy   of course I don't have the official answer  🙂

Voucher used to be an option, removed since the introduction of new My Account.  Since the current activation will enabled Pre-Authorized payments, so i suspect PM wants that, and vouchers can't help.  So, they removed it to "encourage" people to activate with credit card/debit card, so Pre-authorized payments can be enabled and they have better "expected" income

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@madi_ayling 

Another option is to purchase a prepaid visa card to activate a new account.  Otherwise, as already mentioned, you will need to contact customer service agent to use a payment voucher

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@madi_ayling 

yes, you can use your gift voucher to activate  but not on the Activation portal directly. It involves a bit of extra steps

1. Open ticket with PM support by direct message them:
    https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
     **Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there
  2. PM support reply and ask you for the sim card number, an email address used for the activation (login for My Account).   
    They will activate the account with the sim card.  The account will have status SUSPENDED. 
    PM Support will then sent you the login and password. 
  3. Once the account is setup, you can login to My Account and load your voucher to finally activate the service. 
Need Help? Let's chat.