cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated SIM not working

jello8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I received a SIM from Public Mobile and activated it yesterday (including a request to transfer my number from my old provider). Today my SIM is still not working. I believe this could be due to at least 2 things:

1. My old SIM was not inside my phone during the 90 minute window when I would've received a text to approve the number transfer.
  2. My previous provider is Koodo prepaid. (I've since learned that I should've activated my SIM with a temporary number, then I could've transferred my old number later.)

My question is: At this point, would it work for me to login to my Public Mobile account online and request a number change (to a random temporary number), and THEN, once things are working, I can request to transfer my number from Koodo prepaid?

FYI, my old SIM (the Koodo one) is still working fine.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

7 REPLIES 7

@jello8 

Thanks for the update....now that makes sense with the porting. So the sim probably didn't provision correctly and that's what the CSA will fix on the back end.

This doesn't usually take too long. You can tell your relative that once an hour has passed since chatting with the CSA ( they have closed for regular business hours) that they can always reseat the sim card and reboot the phone to see if the reprovisioning has been completed.

Toggling airplane mode on/off can't hurt too to get a brand new connection to the network.....hopefully they don't have to wait til morning for the provisioning task to have been completed.

jello8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Late thank you to everyone for the advice!

I was actually asking on behalf of my relatives (trying to help them from a different province).

They eventually received verification texts from Koodo, and their Koodo account was deactivated.

FYI, it turns out they actually had a Koodo POSTPAID plan.

Their SIM still isn't working, but they were eventually able to get in touch with a PM agent, who said there is a problem "on the backend." It sounds like (I hope) the agent will be able to fix this sometime soon!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@jello8 if you put your PM SIM in a phone, does it connect to PM network? or is it showing SIM not provisioned or some kind of error message?  Can you at least make outgoing calls?

I guess if you put in your Koodo SIM back to the phone, you can make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls without issue?

Please open a ticket with PM to confirm if your activation and SIM is properly activated first.

Once that part is confirmed, you can open another ticket to get the porting started:

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/Rqg6DB

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jello8 wrote:

Hello, I received a SIM from Public Mobile and activated it yesterday (including a request to transfer my number from my old provider). Today my SIM is still not working. I believe this could be due to at least 2 things:

1. My old SIM was not inside my phone during the 90 minute window when I would've received a text to approve the number transfer.
  2. My previous provider is Koodo prepaid. (I've since learned that I should've activated my SIM with a temporary number, then I could've transferred my old number later.)

My question is: At this point, would it work for me to login to my Public Mobile account online and request a number change (to a random temporary number), and THEN, once things are working, I can request to transfer my number from Koodo prepaid?

Hello @jello8 ,

So, you were charged for the activation?

What does it say when you log into your Self Serve for account status, does it say active?

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/

Have you tried any other trouble shooting to see if you can receive any other services?

*turn off your phone, leave off for a few minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

*trying your SIM card into another compatible phone

*Is your phone locked? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

*Check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

You can proceed to the "Change Number" option in your Self Serve account and click on the here... 'Customer Support Agents here 'to submit a ticket of start the port.

esjliv_0-1636636378873.png

Helpful post for review:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Transferring-or-Changing-your-Phone-Num...

@jello8 

Weird the activation process allowed you to request the port of your koodo prepaid phone number? ( I wonder if that caused your provisioning issue with the new sim card? Or there is the rare possibility of it being a dud of a sim card?!!)

Needless to say....type in "sim card not provisioned upon activation" and "human" when you chit chat with Simple--Simon. Keep an eye on the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a reply from a CSA.

Once the CSA provisions your sim card ask them to transfer your koodo prepaid phone number by supplying them with:

1. Full name on your koodo account.
  2. Koodo account #.
  3. Koodo phone #.

They will request koodo to send you the PAT (porting authorization text) so put your koodo sim card back in your phone (after you test the pm sim card in your phone so the CSA knows that they have successfully provisioned your pm sim card.) and reply YES to the PAT from koodo within 90 minutes of receiving it.

Put the PM sim card back in and wait for your number transfer to complete.

This won't take too long the CSA will actually does this because koodo prepaid and pm share the same back end system and your number just gets transferred between accounts vs porting it in from another providers system into pm's. Once you can recieve incoming calling your koodo account will close and you will be fully active on pm.

At this point you can finish setting up your self serve account and log in using the email and password you chose while activating your sim card.

Welcome to public mobile!

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@jello8 wrote:

@jello8 

Contact PM customer support via:

Chatbot (tiia.ai)

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@jello8 Don't change your number. Get help from a CSA  There could have been an activation issue and changing number won't help. The service should already work even if the port failed. Clck the chat bubble to ask a CSA for help. Once the service is working, then get the CSA to push a request to retry porting.

Need Help? Let's chat.