cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally closed my account while porting numbers

aprameya
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I have been using Public Mobile for a couple of months (in my first 90 day term). When I signed up, I ported over my work number because I was changing jobs. I like to keep my personal and work numbers separate, and now ported the number over to my new workplace.

At the same time as I ported my number from Public Mobile to Bell (work carrier), I also tried to request a new number on Public Mobile so I can continue using my account. However, I wasn't able to complete my request and have since been locked out of my account.

I have two specific questions:

1) Will I be able to use my current Public Mobile sim card with a new number?

2) Will I be able to continue using the plan that I paid for (I was ~45 days into a 90 day plan) with this new number?

Please let me know how to proceed. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

The closing of your account was not accidental.  That is supposed to happen, and Public Mobile has no choice but to close your account when you port out your number.  Your sim card cannot be reused.  You will need a new sim card to get a number Public Mobile phone number.  As to whether or not you can get your old plan back (if it is no longer offered) or any credit for any of the time that you didn't use, the general answer is no, and that you have forfeited any of that when you ported out.  If the moderators choose to do either of those for you under a new account, it will be as a goodwill gesture, but your old account is actually gone and you can't get it back. 

skmkenn wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but it may be possible to have your old SIM card reactivated with a new phone number so that you could continue using the rest of the plan that you had already paid for, or you may need to purchase and activate a new SIM card / account and see if they can credit the new account with a partial amount from the old plan.

@aprameya, sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.  unfortunately you have closed your account and if you were on the Freedom plan that just ended you would have lost that as well.  You can private message a mod but I am pretty sure that you will have to purchase a new SIM and you can get them at Walmart or WOW cellular stores as well as online still.  You will have lost your unused portion of the plan you ported out.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When performing a number port out from any carrier, it will automatically close your account.

I would recommend sending a private message to @CS_Agent explaining the situation (include your phone number and account number if you still have it, should be included in the activation details e-mail you had received when initially signing up) and see what the best way to proceed would be. I'm not 100% sure, but it may be possible to have your old SIM card reactivated with a new phone number so that you could continue using the rest of the plan that you had already paid for, or you may need to purchase and activate a new SIM card / account and see if they can credit the new account with a partial amount from the old plan.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hi porting out cancels any tie left on your plan and closes your account.

to answer your questions.  

1) sim card is now only good for the landfill

2) if you port out a number it closes your account.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Once you port out of any carrier, your account automatically gets deactivated. If you already ported your pm number to bell, you will not be able to get back your pm account. You will need to activate another account if you want a line from public mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.