cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN change or fishing attempt??

Dandy-Dry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got an email today saying I have to change my APN settings. Is this true or is it a fishing attempt or other hacking attempt? Email design, writing style and tone was convincing. 

8 REPLIES 8

I think that was a targeted email that was sending to  only those still using the old APN settings.  I have been using this "new" one ( http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc  /  8799  / 220  )  for the longest time.  The change is likely the legacy server is going away and all traffic needs to go through the current one.

The APN settings in fact are saved on the device.  So, older phones would only have the older settings (the one with IP) , or recent phones are all using the new settings.  

As an FYI, here is the full APN settings:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

StoneAge

Bold characters indicate what needs to be changed in the settings.

Previous settings:

New Settings:

I don't know what that has to do with the age of the phone. I made the changes this morning and my Samsung Rugby II from 2010 can still send MMS the same as it used to. We'll see how this works on Valentine's Day. Here are my settings for anyone interested:

mcdougal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Seems to me that some got an email today to update APN settings, others that their phone would no longer work for MMS. The link in the previous post is to a forum topic from August 2023, but seemingly for similar changes back then.

The links provided in the email I got (about needing to change APN settings by Feb 14) provided a link to another PM page about the changes, but it's not rich in technical details. Upon searching ' "mms" changes canada ' I only find PM, Koodo and Telus, nothing from the other networks.

It can at least have the appearance of a conflict of interest when PM is linking to an affiliate who sells phones, and the other Telus networks sell phones outright. If they provided more technical details, it'd help assuage the perception that our phones might be needlessly sunsetted in order to sell us new (or used) phones.

For those of us who'd like to create less waste and keep using older phones, I'd love to know if any other networks support MMS on older phones. I'd hate to switch from PM, and for now my 2017 phone should still work, but if they stop supporting my phone and another network still does, I'd have move to another network.

Dandy-Dry

No I have a new phone running Android 13. Here's the email. It is from the following address publicmobileservice@info.publicmobile.ca

Screenshot_20240125-115035_1.png

HI @Karushifa @Dandy-Dry 

this is the background info:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-Changes/td-...

so, you need a newer phone if you want to send MMS (Picture message)

But if you never use it, or happy with only mobile data, voice and sms, then you can continue using the phone

HI @Karushifa 

oh, that is not an APN change.  That is a valid email

I think you have an older phone, pre 2017 phone.  Phones older than 2017 will not have MMS working anymore

Karushifa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got the email as well.

Screenshot_20240125-105752.jpg

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Dandy-Dry 

no, there is no APN change with PM.  Also, I believe they can push the change if they want to 

but to help everyone to stay away from this phishing, can you post screenshot as well as the FROM email address so you can all be alert.  thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.