cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6GB @ 4G LTE / 90 days plan = $135

airamia
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have just ported my number and signed up for this plan today. Does it mean that I will have 6GB to use every 30 days (every month within this 90 days period), or is it 6GB data divided over 3 months? If I opted for monthly (30 days) payments the same 6GB plan would cost me $62 per month so $135 seemed like a better deal but now I’m not sure how much data total do I get in this 90 days period? Anyone help please

16 REPLIES 16

MMack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you are coming from the US or Europe the Canadian Cell Phone plans will be quite more expensive with much less data. Infrastucture is very expensive in canada since the most of the country is low population density.

The bigger companies, Rogers, Telus will be charging 80-100$ a month for a decent LTE-Data plan with 6GB per month. (More if subsidizing a new phone). You can catch a good promotion from time to time, but you will never find the value your used too.

Public Mobile has recently changed it motivations towards providing a value-centric plan that utilizes slower 3G data speeds. These are the plans that are giving the best value at Public Mobile. If you are looking for LTE speeds, KOODO is the sister company of Public Mobile and offers better promo LTE plans. 

BTW, Telus is the parent company of both Koodo and Public Mobile. 

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNewHomeCTA_50dollar4GBpromo_ShopPlans

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@airamia wrote:

I guess I will have to use it up now and then port my number to different provider, probably next month because it will not last 90 days with my daily needs. It’s a bit difficult to stay under this provider after such shocking and frustrating situation I got myself in. I wish I could cancel my registration or choose different plan and get refund for remaining portion I paid already because I didn’t understand how exactly this works. 

@airamia as has been suggested, have you reached out to the moderator team yet?  They might well be able to do something for you.  Don't give up yet.

@airamia wrote:

Coming from Europe where costs for data plans are much cheaper I never thought this would mean 6 GB over 90 days. And friends here recommending me to try this provider because they give more value for the money. Bad choice that I will have to pay a lot for, but lesson learned. Thanks everyone for help and responses! 

@airamia okay so granted you have come from Europe where things work differently and you misunderstood.  Nowhere did your plan say "6GB per month for 90 days", it said "6 GB at 4G LTE speed /90 Days".  I think if I were new to the country I might enquire first before choosing this, if it wasn't clear to me.  I'm not trying to be a jerk and say "it's all your fault!", I'm trying to say you misunderstood and well that's unfrortunate.  

I'd suggest you pick out a plan that might better meet your needs.  There a number that offer far more data for the $, albeit at a throttled speed. Right now you're paying $135 for 90 days, which is $45 for 30 days, and getting approximately 2GB per 30 days.  Here are some alternatives I think you should consider:

$40 will get you 30 days of unlimited Canada-wide talk, unlimited texting, and 4.5 GB of throttled data.  Details here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed

$45 will get you 30 days of unlimited Canada-wide talk, unlimited texting, and 6 GB of throttled data.  Details here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/plans/45for6GB-3Gspeed

$50 will get you 30 days of unlimited Canada-wide talk (and calling to the USA from Canada), unlimited texting, and 8 GB of throttled data.  Details here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed

Pick one that suits your needs and reach out to the moderator team (details here: How to Get Help) to see if they can switch you over immediately without penalty.  They have been known to make goodwill exceptions in the past--it's not guaranteed but worth a try.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@airamia  As everyonge else here has already suggested it might be worth your while to send a private message to the moderators first to see if they will allow a plan change and/or refund for one that works better for you.  After all you have nothing to lose by contacting them.

It is easy to make a mistake, hopefully they will understand.  Good luck!

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, May i suggest, in order to save Data, you could use free Wifi whenever possible. Many public locations like malls, banks, restaurants give free Wifi. You may be able to make 6GB last 3 months.  After the 90 day plan is over the $45 plan includes unlimited canada calling/unlimited texting/6.5 GB Data per 30 days. I don't think you will find a better price for that plan in Canada.

airamia

Maybe it is, but considering the fact that they don’t have proper customer support that I can reach to and resolve my issue, back out of this contract as I guess I would be able to do anywhere else, if I made mistake like what happened in my case, this plan turned out to be quiet expensive in my case. I don’t mind paying for more but advertising here is very confusing, which made me believe that if I opt for the same plan but pay for 3 months upfront I would get some discount in that price. Instead I got less data on higher price than I would pay if I went with any of big three. Because this 6GB would last me about a month or so..

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@airamia wrote:

This is going to be the most expensive 6GB I’ve paid anywhere. I guess I will have to use it up now and then port my number to different provider, probably next month because it will not last 90 days with my daily needs. It’s a bit difficult to stay under this provider after such shocking and frustrating situation I got myself in. I wish I could cancel my registration or choose different plan and get refund for remaining portion I paid already because I didn’t understand how exactly this works. Coming from Europe where costs for data plans are much cheaper I never thought this would mean 6 GB over 90 days. And friends here recommending me to try this provider because they give more value for the money. Bad choice that I will have to pay a lot for, but lesson learned. Thanks everyone for help and responses! 

Welcome to Canada. We are all well aware we're being hosed. But we also have a bit of geography to cover. Public Mobile is among the least expensive providers.

Eh, we're hosers.  ;o)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@airamia wrote:

This is going to be the most expensive 6GB I’ve paid anywhere. I guess I will have to use it up now and then port my number to different provider, probably next month because it will not last 90 days with my daily needs. It’s a bit difficult to stay under this provider after such shocking and frustrating situation I got myself in. I wish I could cancel my registration or choose different plan and get refund for remaining portion I paid already because I didn’t understand how exactly this works. Coming from Europe where costs for data plans are much cheaper I never thought this would mean 6 GB over 90 days. And friends here recommending me to try this provider because they give more value for the money. Bad choice that I will have to pay a lot for, but lesson learned. Thanks everyone for help and responses! 

Welcome to Canada. We are all well aware we're being hosed. But we also have a bit of geography to cover. Public Mobile is among the least expensive providers.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@airamia wrote:

This is very unfortunate.  When you port over to another carrier, please make sure you understand what the overage charges are for data.  Depending on what plan and which carrier you go with, the overage charges can be quite shocking for data.  Some carriers will allow you to continue consuming the data past the plan limit and you'll only find out once your bill arrives.  

airamia

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

send a private message to moderator_team

@airamia more on this here:  How to Get Help

It's unfortunate you didn't come here to check your assumptions first before activating on this plan, you could have saved yourself a lot of hassle.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@airamia  since you have newly joined i would send a message to teh moderatos stating which plan you want and they might (out of goodwill) make the needed changes for you and credit your available funds the difference in the monetary value.   expect a 48 hour replay time.

send a private message to moderator_team

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@airamia wrote:

Is there any way to change the plan now? I’m still waiting for my number to be ported.

This turns to be very expensive. 

You can change your plan at any time, however if you've already selected a plan you cannot get a refund for that purchase.

Steps to change plan:

Once you log into your account, look for 'Account Status'.

Just below that, there will be a button 'Change Plan'. Click that.
You will then see a screen that says 'Change My Base Plan'.
If you scroll down a little, you will see a list of the plans offered.
Select the plan you want.
At the bottom you will see two choices/buttons:
Change plan now OR Change on next renewal date

Edit: please note that a 90 day plan is about 3 months worth of time.

airamia

Is there any way to change the plan now? I’m still waiting for my number to be ported.

This turns to be very expensive. 

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The plan you're looking at would give 6GB to use within 90 days. If you would like more data than that I would recommend the $40/ 30 days plan (4.5gb +500mb with autopay) or the $45/ 30 days plan (6gb +500mb with autopay).

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, 6GB of Data to use within the 90 days of service. 

@airamia wrote:

I have just ported my number and signed up for this plan today. Does it mean that I will have 6GB to use every 30 days (every month within this 90 days period), or is it 6GB data divided over 3 months? If I opted for monthly (30 days) payments the same 6GB plan would cost me $62 per month so $135 seemed like a better deal but now I’m not sure how much data total do I get in this 90 days period? Anyone help please

it is actually neither. You have 6GB total to use over 90 days (there are different amount of days in some months).

Need Help? Let's chat.