cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*611 conflict

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I'm a Public Mobile customer. Mobile phone talk/text/data.

And I'm now a Telus customer. Optik internet.

Dialing *611 from my phone reaches PM.

But I need *611 to reach Telus instead, at least the first time (to setup PIN/etc) from my own phone number. It doesn't work from other phone numbers (not even the Telus landline at the Telus store), the Telus people say they can't do anything about the way their system is set up (or deactivate or lock the thing) but they advise me to ask PM for support on this issue, lol. So I can dial *611 from any phone (except my own, lol) and muck around with my Telus account funds or options (account number) but I can't actually authenticate myself, secure it with a PIN, or change any of the voice menu prompts/options.

Is there a fix for this? Seems to me like an issue on the Telus end but they claim it's something PM can fix.

7 REPLIES 7

@Korth  Well I can help troubleshoot the common issues if you can't figure it out yourself.... which often involves unplugging the power source from the box or pvr for 30 seconds and allowing it to reboot. But there will be that day when all your recordings will disappear never to be seen again (or not at all!) Usually when you return home from vacation eager to binge watch your favourite programs. That's the day you will want to call to demand satisfaction. Which will be given in free pay for view first run movies or three months of free HBO/Superchannel premium channels. Which you then record every movie you havent already seen to watch once your three months are up.

The computer at 1-888-811-2323 connected me to a support agent at some other number who in turn passed me directly to somebody in technical who somehow got someone in accounting to assign a default PIN. About 45 minutes, all told, after I (repeatedly, stubbornly) declined to endure another 10-15 minutes for some survey. They were all pleasant and helpful enough, they were all shackled by scripts and hierarchies, they made me submit proof of identity again and again ("No, I don't have a PIN, do you remember why I'm calling?").

My *611 still dials PM. I'll never need (or want) to call Telus again so I didn't bother to memorize the 16-digit PIN I "carefully" selected. I'm annoyed at Telus bloat, lol, just wastes time.

@Korth  For ease negotiating the automated phone system and speeding up your possible wait time for an agent make sure you get the home phone number assigned to your account. This is one of the first things the automated system will ask....it does not ask for your account number only the agent will ask that if you do not previously key in or say your phone number.  I've written mine down on a bill somewhere yet I have the much longer account number memorized.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This sounds like a customer service rep pointing the finger.  611 is like a network speed dial.  How can this be individually reprogrammed to suit each customer?  Telus will have to supply a different number for customers that don't use their brand of cellular service.

@Korth  Now that I am no longer a telus mobility customer I couldn't use 611 either. The same service is offered by dialing 1 888 811 2323. It's toll free but I'm not sure it uses minutes if you are on the $15 plan. The 611 previously was a pain as well because it brought you to the mobility department which after being on hold for awhile would require them to transfer you to the optik tv department and another long time on hold. If you require technical assistance which can often require another lengthy hold I suggest calling after midnight. It is the only department you can reach after hours but you can get a technician in less than a minute quite often. Last time I called the automated message "wait times are longer than expected" had barely finished when my call was answered. It ended up being one of the best customer service experiences I ever had in 20+ years of dealing with telus.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

That is a weird one @Korth, keep us updated how this gets resolved.  This is something that will start popping up more now that many people are getting rid of their landline and just going with mobile numbers/

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Seems this could be an issue for anyone not using a telus phone... ie Rogers, as 611 would direct to their own customer service...

Maybe their other published toll-free contact numbers will work?

Type of Inquiry

TELUS ServicePhone NumberTechnical Support Hours (local times)

TELUS Mobility

For support on TELUS Mobility plans, phone usage, billing and more

Monday - Friday: 7 am - 11 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9 am - 11 pm

TELUS Home Services in AB & BC

For support on TELUS Internet, TV & Home Phone services

24/7

[Actual number to call bolded ....... Luddite]

Need Help? Let's chat.