cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Upgrade

Kimlee_N
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been with Public for 4 years now on a 3G plan.  I have just purchased a 5G compatible phone and upgraded to a 5G plan with Public.  Do I need a new SIM card?  Or will my old 3G work with the 5G plan?

16 REPLIES 16

HI @Peyton181 

I read something that in the future, there could really be a new sim card for another generation of the 5G network

But the current 5G network, and 4G and 3G , you can use the same old sim card to access them all

@Peyton181 wrote:

This happened to my dad! The 4g card is interchangeable with 5G, but the 3G is not! 

All of Public Mobile's SIM cards work with the 3G, LTE, and 5G networks.

Hi @Peyton181 

what is a 4G card? you meant the sim card?

Peyton181

This happened to my dad! The 4g card is interchangeable with 5G, but the 3G is not! 

@Handy1 wrote:

@PWB  Also note that even with your phone set to LTE you will still enjoy 5G speeds if your on a 5G plan 

I've always said that the 5G network isn't required to take advantage of Public Mobile's 5G plan speds. While that's true, connecting to LTE doesn't ensure the full 5G plan speeds 100% of the time.  I'm only trying to say that it's possible.  Network conditiosn still play a factor, and some phones have a maximum LTE download speed of less than 250Mbps (some have a maximum of 150Mbps).

PWB

My phone is the Moto Edge 2022. I don't have battery saver on. I guess I will just keep an eye on it and see if it changes while I travel about. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PWB  Also note that even with your phone set to LTE you will still enjoy 5G speeds if your on a 5G plan 

HI @PWB 

what phone do you have?

Some phone only uses 5G network if it sees a better reception or you have big amount of data to download, this is for battery saving

And if you have batter saver on, then it might be another reason

PWB

Hi. Even though I set the preferred network to 5G the phone still shows LTE+ or LTE. I just recently changed my phone and plan to 5G one. 

HI @PWB 

What problem you have with your plan switch? Cannot plan change or don't see 5G option on your phone?

PWB

Hi there. I have the same issue. How did you get this solved?

@Kimlee_N  Excellent happy to hear it 🙂

Kimlee_N

Much appreciated! I am up and running on 5G!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Kimlee_N 

you won’t need a new SIM card, however you may need to remove or add adaptors to the existing one depending on old and new device SIM tray sizing.

If you need to add one, mobile outlets/booths would have plenty.

HALIMACS_0-1692218961993.jpeg

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Kimlee_N 

You can switch plan and you don’t need a new SIM.

Just switch your plan online then put old SIM in the new phone with the power off then power the phone on.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kimlee_N  No you don’t need a new SIM card .just go to subscriptions add on page in your my account and when you see the plan you want make plan change for next renewal and not immediately or you lose money on your current cycle 

Change plan in 3 easy clicks

Handy1_0-1692218610212.jpeg

Once you find plan you want be sure to (change on renewal )So you don’t lose money on current cycle

Adding and yes your old 3G phone would work with the 5G plan . But you already have a new 5G capable phone . So why not just use that 

Need Help? Let's chat.