cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Network Access

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Which accounts/plans get access to the 5G network?

Only 5G plans, new plans, all accounts?

10 REPLIES 10

HI @NinjaNerd   is your network set to Automatic? Try to change to 5G and see if any better

you did a speed test? what speed you got?  But I agree, for most of us, the 4G speed at 100Mbps is more than good enough.  Unless you need lots of data , then only 5G plans offer that much data

NinjaNerd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just ported my phone over today from Bell to a PM 5G plan ($55/mo on a 90 day subscription). I can confirm that I have access to the 5G network from my house in Sherwood Park, although the speeds are no better than 4G. Not sure if it works faster elsewhere around town. I'll give it some time, but at this point I'm thinking I'll change my plan to one of the 4G options and save $10-15 per month.

I’m not entirely sure , I know people on 3G still can access 4G but it’s still throttled to the 3G services speed so I suspect it’s same thing with 5G 

umnikke8

I've seen a couple posts of people with '4G' plans being connected to the 5G network today, so looks like it might apply to most if not all customers. Perhaps someone with a '3G' plan can check too.

umnikke8

@Handy1 prior to this Public/Koodo did not have access to the 5G network, I'm looking for information on whether only the new "5G" plans have access or other accounts as well.

@umnikke8  yes it’s all the same network , just throttled speeds for the different plan tiers 

umnikke8

@Handy1 asking about the network itself, not the speeds, not the plans, not the names, the actual physical wireless network.

@umnikke8  Only the 5G plans will get the 250mbs speed  the other plans are 100mbs also the 5G plans are unlimited at throttled speed once you bucket it used up 

umnikke8

Yes there are the "5G" plans that have "5G" speeds, but are they the only ones which can access the physical 5G network or can the other ones use it with their speed caps?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@umnikke8  It’s just the 25GB plans and up that have the 5G services there’s still 4G plans and 3G plans there 

add it’s just the 25gB plan and 50GB plan that’s 5G service 

Need Help? Let's chat.